Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashes when cool started ?

Hi everyone!

If you can solve my interesting problem I'll be really greatful. Every morning when I turn on my computer or whenever I turn on my computer after it has been off for a while it crashes and reboots a while after it has started. I usually just surf the web in the morning and don't stress the system much. After one reboot the system is very stable. What the **** is the problem? PSU?
    One more thing... I tested with my old g400max and it still crashed/rebooted. So I guess it isn't the graphics card...

/Leo

This is my system spec:
    AMD athlon xp1700
    abit kr7a
    crucial 256MB
    ati radeon 8500
    3com 905c
    sblive
    ibm 120gxp 80GB
    aopen 300W psu
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

I'd say it's your Abit. I won't go near another Abit Via solution after my Abit KT7 133 raid. I threw it in the bin as theres no way I could sell it onto someone.
    If the board is new get it rma and get it replaced.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ah, it's just one more of those VIA Features.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

While it's possible for the problem to be within the PS... more directly it sounds like a cap issue... lol yeh yeh yeh I know, like blaming caps for everything ... anywho leaking caps show there worst when cold... they allow DC to pass through them and thus put a massive current load on the PS til warmed up a bit.This could be a cap on the MB or in the PS... swap out the PS right away with an AMD XP approved supply and see if that resolves the problem... if it doesn't, swap MB's... this can only lead to more headaches down the road.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It could also be a dry joint on the motherboard and once it's managed to warm up a bit the contact is constant. You could try reseating everything just in case a card or cpu or memory isn't quiet down.
          Abit managed to send a board out to a reviewer with some components not soldered in.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well maybe it's time to get that nice 350W enermax. :-) It couldn't hurt I guess....
            AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
            Asus A8N-E
            Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
            Lian-Li PC60
            Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

I'll add this to enlighten you...

My system specs...

MSI MS-6167mb, 512 megs PC133mem (mixed Crucial and Infineon cas2), Athlon 500@850 pulling 85.4 watts peak!!!/watercooled, 1 IBM 34GXP 20 gig and 1 IBM 60gig 60GXP HD's, Imation 4x4x20 CDRW converted to a Ricoh 6x4x20 CDRW, Toshiba 12x DVD SD-M1402 region freed, SBLive, realtek nic, Floppy, Hauppauge WinTV FM Stereo PCI, and currently a G400Max.

All housed in an InWin Q500 case with a 300w Powerman supply... bottom line, you have alot less power demands than I, with the same power rating on the supply.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi!

Well at first I posted a thread like this in the radeon 8500 technical support at rage3d because at first I thought it was the graphics card since I got one message from windows that it might be that. Two of the replies I got were from two persons with the same problem. After started cool a crash and after reboot stable. I got the hint to look at the voltages when I started the computer and I did, the +12V were sometimes as low as 11.1V but mostly around 11.5V. I don't know much about PSUs but I don't like that something that should run at 12V run 0.5V lower...

/Leo
                AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                Asus A8N-E
                Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                Lian-Li PC60
                Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

11.5 V is just acceptable but 11.1V is just to low, try another AMD approved PSU.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Well one idea to minimize the possibilities is to lend a psu from a friend and try. Too bad it takes time for the computer to cool down. =)
                    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                    Asus A8N-E
                    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                    Lian-Li PC60
                    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

ATX specs call for a maximum tolerance of 5%... so on the 12vdc line it should read between +12.6 and +11.4 vdc

Comment

Mike ... didn't you state before that you can't rely on the voltage readings from the BIOS?
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam is right

you might as well look at the motherboard and guess what voltages are going through it, cause it won't be any worse than what the bios reports.

Use a multimeter to test the power levels. (while running with all stuff connected.)
                          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Hi again!

Well since I am a little bit of a nerd... I got a new Enermax 353W PSU. =)

The bad thing is that it did not help with my cold boot problem. =(

Do you have any suggestions of what I can do to solve my problem?

Please help me!!!

/Leo
                            AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                            Asus A8N-E
                            Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                            Lian-Li PC60
                            Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Wasn't there a post long ago that the ABIT boards had a problem with poor voltage regulation, especially to the AGP port, and that it caused problems with a lot of cards?

Maybe they are following Creatives problem resolution strategy: ignore it

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X