pop up ad blockers..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop up ad blockers..........

These are driving me crazy. I have found plenty of outfits that claim to be able save me, but do any of you have a tried and true favorite?

Thanks
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

webwasher
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I second that, very usefull program.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I use SurfPal from PanicWare.

It has more features than just stopping pop-ups.

They have a smaller (cheaper) program called "Pop-Up Stopper".

Their technology is great. If I click a link on a page which opens all new links as new windows (aka MURC forums) it lets it through. But popups (even "click here and get a little javascript popup") get blocked. It's customizable (allow domain X to pop-up), and has various levels (like allowing throuhg those previously mentioned javascript popups WHEN you click).

Kicks ass. Couldn't live without it.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I 've been using WebWasher for a couple of year now.... it's free (for home users), highly customizable and gets the job done.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Proxomitron, it's free, looks a bit crappy (by default*) but you can configure it to do just about anything..

*Check "Don't use textures" under Config - Visuals.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Thanks guys. I will start with those.
              P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Ad-Aware also works pretty well. It found over 100 such little presents in one of my systems on the first run.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If you run Mozilla you can go to preferences -> advanced -> scripts and windows then uncheck various scripts such as "open unrequested windows".
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Norton Internet Security 2k2 comes with a good one.

Comment

Going to http://www.x10.com/x10ads1.htm is supposed to set a cookie that stops x10 ads for a month.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You could use <a href="http://tweakcentral.com/s001.htm">Internet Explorer</a>.
                        <a href="http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm">POW</a> (214k) works too.

Comment

Working...
                        X