X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cooling method for PCs

This sounds really interesting.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Toshiba is making their upcoming notebooks water cooled in the same manner.

All they've done is made the case cover a flat water jacket (radiator) which will disperse the heat... Toshiba plans to make the back side of the lcd display a radiator powered by a small pump.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

This system doesn't even contain a pump!
      The fluid loses density as it heats up causing it to rise and draw in new, cooler fluid.

The manufacturer claims 16db noise from the running system.

It's based on an Intel 815E mb, has 5 PCI and 1 AGP slot and is sold with processors ranging from 800 MHz Celeron to 1.3 Ghz Tualatin.

They're planning a P4 version, as well as a dual processor version.

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Then they're using an alcohol based coolent. This has been done before... not in PC's mind you but in other industries... works on the same principle as the bird that drinks from a glass of water.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Let me add that alcohol is greatly inferior to water when it comes to absorbing thermal energy.

Comment

Or it could be freon based... I've worked with completely passive solar systems which used this technique to warm water.... tho they work fantastic in that area, are big and extremely massive (weight) inorder to achieve the thermal change needed for it to work.

Comment

Verax - Der Blog rund um Themen zum Haus, Heim & Garten ✔ Technik ✔ Kreatives ✔ Einrichtung ✔ Energie uvm → Jetzt unseren Blog besuchen

check these out, if you can afford them, you are one happy camper.

they are 19db, which is as good as silent, so you can build a cool & silent system, and those things have been available for months, and reviews are really good, i just hope they will get cheaper sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                Or it could be freon based... I've worked with completely passive solar systems which used this technique to warm water.... tho they work fantastic in that area, are big and extremely massive (weight) inorder to achieve the thermal change needed for it to work.
                They're not really telling which fluid they're using, only that it's not dangerous in any way.

Here are some pictures.

I'll try to translate more of the information when I get home from work, the international page is rather low on information.

Comment

Well it's not freon if they're using those kinds of lines... so I'd bet it's alcohol based.

Comment

It probably runs off of Absolut!
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

As far as I can tell they are using ordinary water !!

In a review done by PCPlanet they say the system isn't suited for the hardcore overclocker as the system can only handle so much heat .. currently the MAX CPU is a 1.4 Ghz P3 Tualatin
                      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

that's what... about 40 watts?... still think it's alcohol based, which would be the limiting factor (ineffecient) for it to function passively. Water wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                          It probably runs off of Absolut!
                          Next thing you know were gonna get drunk computers on our hands! We won't be able to shoot straight in Quake 3, we'll get pulled over for a breathalizer if we play driving games.
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Heatsink Design How much better can performance get?

Some Thoughts.
                            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                            X