Bye Bye buggy XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye buggy XP

Well finally the perisitant loss of Video settings for My g550 card and slow down of the pc to a crawl when printing plus one or two other sillies persuaded me to go back to win2k.
    Video no longer loses it settings. I can use the 5.82 drivers without the infinite loop popping up (Thats if I can get to install without looping). Computer no longer slows down when printing no more silly messages when saving to network drives.
    Guess I'll have to wait until sp1 before I try it again or buy an Intel chipset.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Just wait for SP2
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Weird.....

Apart from a bit of screen corruption on bootup with old drivers, I have had no problems with XP since the last RC....

Bad luck there Pit

BX chipset , G400 in PC#2

RedRed
      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Many systems analyists weren't kidding when they recommended waiting for SP1/2 before upgrading to XP. Too many device/driver issues.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Having a via chipset doesn't help
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Having it in a P3B-F/440BX didn't either.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SP2 ... What happened to SP1?

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

SP2 ... What happened to SP1?
                Nothing, KeiFront just suggested that maybe it'd be better to wait until SP2 =)

SP1 for XP is currently scheduled for fall: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-848447.html

Comment

Yup, mainly because it's taking so long to list and correct all the bugs in Micro$ofts "perfect operating system"

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yeah xp crawled to a halt with the egg timr on my xp 1600/ kt266a/radeon machine probably due todriver issues so i just went back to 98.its now nice and stable.
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

One of our customers who have XP (against my recomendations ) tried to install UT!

at 99% of install the machine hardlocked!!

Making it necesary to pull the plug.....

Installed Unreal with no probs

Checked His HDD: ten bad sectors!

Oh yeah! I thought, Mystery cracked!!

Changed HDD....

Installed UT, 99% Hardlock again!!

Tested the CD on one of our machines with W2000....

Instalation went perfect!

And I got a pleasant surprice:

UT works with Hardware3d support on W2000 with a PCI matrox millenium 2!!

So back to the customer computer with a wengence (after killing a few inocent bots in UT )!

After setting the install program to W2000 compatible mode it worked!!!

After that the game run flawlesly without having to resort to compatibility modes......

But what the D**** is wrong with XP when you have to sett kompatibility mode to install a newer game when a older work?????

And Why is the so called most stable M$ op the only that I have withnessed to completely LOCK a computer when installing a game!! (yes, if it had happened when I tried to run a game I woulden't have been as mad but not being able to handle a install prog , urk)

XP = eXtra Problems ~ eXtreme Problems ~ eXcentric Personality etc etc etc
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I feel for 'ya Technoid. I was ready to pull out the rest of my receeding hairline after the first couple of weeks.

Don't even ask now betaing video editing hardware drivers went.....

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X