DivX 5.0 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DivX 5.0 released

DivX 5.0 has been released (a day or two ago). Regular version is for users who don't do any encoding. Pro is for encoders who want to take full advantages of the new features. Pro has ad based (Gator, uck) and $30 license versions because they have to pay a license for MPEG-4. http://www.divx.com

Over at http://www.doom9.org I've read some posts saying that using b-frames is lowering file sizes a good amount. Quality is still in question, but so far it is as good as 4.x.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

The 'free' PRO version should be OK for me - I never have my video PC connected to the Internet!
    Phil
    AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

I´ve tried it and the new version outperforms the previous ones on all fronts. Playback quality is superior to 4.12 by far. Drawback of the new player is that it tries to make an internet connection on startup, a habit that can´t be turned off, and that it sometimes doesn´t react to commands unless "kicked" by the taskmanager. Hope a fix will be available for that soon. I haven´t tried to play back 5.0 encoded footage with Windows Media Player yet.

landrover
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X