Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a monitor as a TV

Hi all,

I've seen in the past, but I can't find now, schematics on how to build a circuit which will take an RGB scart and convert it to a VGA signal. Any ideas where I might find this?

Does it work other way round? Then I'll finally be able to use that TV under Linux!!

Have you tried EPanorama?
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

can anyone post a link here, as i would like to try doing the circuit myself (once i find my soldering iron and the stuff)
      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I think you will have quite a hard time inputting a TV signal into a PC monitor, unless it is a very old one. The reason is that today's monitors cannot sync anymore to the TV vertical and horizontal scan frequencies (25/30 Hz and ~15 kHz respectively, compare to the specs in your monitor manual).
        However, several LCD monitors have S-Video and/or Composite inputs, together with appropriate scan multiplying electronics inside. Don't know if equivalent CRT's can be found.
        Michka
        I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
        If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel Carleer
          I think you will have quite a hard time inputting a TV signal into a PC monitor, unless it is a very old one. The reason is that today's monitors cannot sync anymore to the TV vertical and horizontal scan frequencies (25/30 Hz and ~15 kHz respectively, compare to the specs in your monitor manual).
          However, several LCD monitors have S-Video and/or Composite inputs, together with appropriate scan multiplying electronics inside. Don't know if equivalent CRT's can be found.
          Michka
          Yeah I know, but I once saw a schematic which included some components which converted the 15kHz horizontal scan to the required 31kHz. I don't wanna do it if it's going to cost a bomb though

Comment

I agree, the scan doubling components may well be reasonably inexpensive, as they are used in the so called 100 Hz TV sets (at least that's the name here in PAL/SECAM Europe). Which means mass production resulting in low cost.
            Michka
            I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
            If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Steve, this is a bit outside my field, but is this the sort of thing Amiga owners built to display on PC monitors? If so this may be the sort of thing you're after, if not a hunt around Amiga forums may help. I've pasted some text in, if you stick it into notepad it might make more sense.

HTH

Dave

Hi all,

Here is an adapter I've been working on to get vga output without a
              Second Sight card. Any techies out there want to look this over and see
              if it works for you. Build and use it at your own risk as I haven't
              tested it yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
              -

GS RGB to VGA Video Adapter

Here is a GS RGB to VGA converter adapter based on the VGA Hack for
              the Amiga which also uses analog RGB and works great. It will allow
              the use of a vga monitor on a GS. The original VGA Hack diagram can be
              found on Aminet (the big Amiga FTP site) under hardware hacks.

The Amiga uses separate horizontal and vertical sync so I used 330 ohm=
              =20
              resistors (as suggested by someone in the Atari ST newsgroup) and tied
              them together to split the composite sync. This allowed me to get a
              separate H and V sync to send to the various pins on the 74LS08N chip.

GS Male to VGA Female converter 74LS08N chip
              -------
              GS Male # 2 Red -----------> VGA Female # 1 |-->--->H Sync > |1 14|
              GS Male # 5 Green ---------> VGA Female # 2 |-->--->H Sync > |2 |
              GS Male # 9 Blue ----------> VGA Female # 3 | V Sync < |3 |
              | |--->V Sync > |4 |
              GS Male # 3 Comp. Sync ----> 330 ohm res -> H->| |--->V Sync > |5 |
              " " " " " " ----> 330 ohm res -> V---->| H Sync < |6 |
              -------

GS Male # 1+6+13+Shell GND ----------> VGA Female # 4+5+7+8+9+11
              _|_
              =E6F
              ---
              |
              +5v from MB -------------------------> 74LS08N pin # 14

Horizontal and vertical sync outputs from chip go to the following:

H Sync > VGA Female # 13
              V Sync > VGA Female # 14

You will need to build this on a small PCB (printed circuit board) which
              is obtainable, as well as the 74LS08N chip, from Radio Shack.

Note the directional arrows on the diagram above as pertaining to the
              74LS08N chip. Horizontal sync goes IN via pin #1 and 2 and are joined
              together on the PCB and then exits to Vertical sync via pin #3. Vertical
              sync goes IN via pin #4 and 5 and joined together on the PCB and exits to
              Horizontal sync via pin #6.

+5 volt goes from GS motherboard to pin #14 on 74LS08N chip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:

Be warned that using this adapter is 'AT YOUR OWN RISK' as is any
              after-market hack. No guarantees or warranties implied or given with this
              diagram and instructions. Hopefully it won't blow up your GS. The final
              result will require plugging into a vga (male) cable. The converter will
              plug right into the GS. Let us know your results.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
              =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
              =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
              Hash: SHA1

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1010516001450.29809B-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,
              Tony Cianfaglione <ab616@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
              > Here is an adapter I've been working on to get vga output without a
              >Second Sight card. Any techies out there want to look this over and see
              >if it works for you. Build and use it at your own risk as I haven't
              >tested it yet.

This circuit does nothing for the refresh rate, which is outside the range
              of most modern VGA monitors (some older models, like the NEC MultiSync 3D I
              use, can handle the GS's 15.75 kHz horizontal sync rate.) What could be
              more useful would be this sync doubler:

A conversion of this archive to something readable by a wider variety of
              computers is on my website:

I haven't tried building this gadget yet, but it looks like it would double
              the horizontal scan rate. It also looks at first glance, though, like it
              would only display half of each scan line...unless I'm reading something
              incorrectly. It uses a 74LS123, three 2N2222s, and a few passive components
              and could be lashed together quickly enough to see if it'll get the job
              done.
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

Working...
              X