TV out + Mpeg2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV out + Mpeg2

The TV out on my Marvel G200-TV seems poor. The TV out when playing mjpeg files seems very good though (fullscreen and colors not faded). I wanted to know if the Marvel G400's TV out was any better?

Also I have tried using the Ligos Mpeg2 encoder 3.0 and the results do not look good. I am trying to convert from a 3.1 MB/s mjpeg to ~ 0.5MB/s mpeg2 format. Still images look fine, but when there is alot of motion the picture goes to hell. I've tried playing with the settings a little, but I don't know what they all mean. Anything in particular that will help heavy motion sequences from looking blocky.

Thanks

To really solve this problem with MPEG you need to have the full version of Ligos. That way you can get into the Advanced options and tweak the "motion compensation" settings, especially the horizontal one.

What you might want to try is bbMPEG. This is a freeware MPEG-2 encoder that does allow you to use both fixed and variable bitrates (CBR and VBR respectively) and adjust the motion compensation. It's slower than Ligos, but a lot cheaper ;-))

http://members.home.net/beyeler/bbmpg121.zip

From within bbMPEG I usually adjust the horizontal motion compensation up to 8 or 9 from the default of 3. This increases processing time but lessens motion artifacting quite a bit.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 05 May 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the info, seems to be better, but the motion at times seems to fast forward at times when I play back the mpeg2 file. Might be because of some dropped frames, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows why this might be happenning please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

The fast forwarding seems to be the player. WinDVD does not seem to do this. Also the file was massively fragmented. Quality is much improved, with a little more tweaking it should do just fine.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X