Home theater...furniture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theater...furniture?

One of me flatmates is tying the knot, getting hitched, shackling on the old ball and chain in June, and with him goes the entertainment center (amazingly that's the only part of the home theater he owns anymore...). This means that my components and TV must find a new home by 1 June.

Since I know there are some MURCers who are big on HT, I'm curious what everyone else uses. I'll need a component rack and a TV stand. I currently have 6 components and a 27" TV and I have about a $600 budget. In the future my 27" TV will be replaced by a nice 16:9 HDTV, so I'm looking for a cheap TV stand. I will be adding a component or two in the future so a modular design is a big plus.

My current front runner is:

Archtype 5.0 and a 2.0/3.0 connected by a Bridge One, which will act as the TV stand. The Custom Configurator is way cool, too!

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Hi Jammers,

I priced some of the Salamander cabinets locally and their stuff is way overpriced....
    I have an open rack and want to find a closed cabinet to keep the dust out. It would cost me about $1300 if I ordered all the sides, glass door, back, castors, etc..... I was not impressed with the finish on the Cherry wood.

This one has the perforated metal door. For the castors and a glass door it was about $400-500 more.

I guess for $1300 I expect better quality than what I saw.

Salamander does have some nice looking modular setups but if you find a local dealer and price all the separate parts you'll need it may be double the $600 you have to spend.

So far the best deals and most choices for me are at a place called Ultimate Electronics.

If you have one near you I recommend checking out their selection and prices. I got my wall brackets for my rear speakers there.

They have one cabinet that I liked. It would handle a larger Amp than the one I currently have and it is on castors and has nicer cable management that the Salamander cabinets.

Plus it's only $200.00

I've also spent the last month checking out all the other furninture
    stores in town. There are a lot of nice looking cabinets but most are only 15-16" deep and for my Amp and cables I need at least a 19" deep cabinet.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Sometimes you can actually find a cabinet shop to make you a cabinet to your specs for much less than you could buy a compromise cabinet pre built. For your components, get something 24" wide and at least 22" deep. The extra space lets you turn it around to wire it and gives better circulation, especially if you want to close it up somewhat. You could finish the thing yourself.. no big deal there.

Comment

Good advice KvH

Maybe it's time to get out the "POWER TOOLS"!!!!!!

and build it the way I want it.......

PAul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I have a number of nice HT furniture pieces but the company has since gone out of business so no recommendation there (probably above your budget anyway). Remember that you'll need openings in the back to route cables and that will let dust in. You'll also need to ventilate for heat. I placed multiple fans under my lower ported rack which has the amps behind smoked glass doors. The equipment is in two stacked racks 3'Hx6'W for a total 6'x6' rack. I have matching media cabinets also placed about the room and two of them serve as speaker stands for the center speakers.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hmmmm...I never realized the Archtypes weren't that deep. I know the shelf heights are adjustable. I'm going to my stereo store on Saturday, I'll talk to the guys there about prices and so forth. And look into a local cabinet maker.

I'm not looking for anything fancy in the rack. Don't need side walls, don't want any doors, draws or anything like that. The only option I'd get if I go with Salamander is the cable backing.

I really like Boltz stuff, too. All treated steel in various glosses and black. Their prices are way out there though. A 5-component rack would run ~$600 or more.

No Ultimate Electronics in my area.

EDIT: http://www.billybags.com/productsfr.html ...bwwwaaahahahaha...

Jammrock
            Last edited by Jammrock; 4 March 2002, 13:03.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I built my own out of red oak.

Dual clamshell cabinets, one on each side; one for tapes & one for DVD's. 200+ tapes/300+ DVD's + CD's.

It takes up to a 32" TV (Sony Vega in there now) and has a glassed in side panel for DVD, VCR, cable box, tuner, turntable (on full extension slides) etc. etc. Also has a two device shelf over the TV.

Two 12hx14wx18 deep cabinets below the TV.

Due to the weight of the oak it's on near-industrial casters.

abt. 5' 6" high, 6' wide and 24" deep.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X