Windows XP and Via Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP and Via Drivers

Who still uses the Via 4 in 1 Drivers under XP? I'm curious because I've been having mondo problems with XP with my PC lately...and I'm trying to sort out if its the Highpoint drivers causing the problems or what.

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I am not, and no AMD Miniport driver neither. Only the XP built in drivers.
    Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I also had many issues with XP on my IWILL KK266-R. Another VIA based board with onboard RAID. I had various corruption issues with my system partition. I did fresh installs RAID 0 and fresh Raid1, and a reinstall on a RAID 0. That is what gave me my first real clue (not withstanding the frequent condemnation of onboard RAID from either GURM or GREEBE, I can't remember which at this time). XP install saw BOTH drives/partitions individually instead of as one volume. I think there are issues with the RAID driver not initalizing properly and early enough in the boot process to insure correct file access.

Bottom line is that I disabled RAID and am running with no problem off of the normal IDE controller.

I believe you could continue to use a RAID configuration, as long as it is not your system boot drive, once the boot process is completed and file system stable.

Hope this helps, Good luck!
      Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Heres the situtation I've been having: 2-3 weeks ago, My PC was left on after shut down (ACPI was disabled since I was using Modded BIOS and I was getting ACPI errors during the last reinstall) and when I went to restart my PC later that night...it didnt want to boot up..just would show the XP splash screen and then the screen would go dark then the PC would reboot itself. I reinstalled XP and reflashed the BIOS to the lastest ABIT beta BIOS and everything was fine till this past friday. I did a windows update that loaded some fixes for HD problems and I updated Office XP at the same time to SP1. I shut the PC down for the evening and the next morning....same problem...I get to splash screen and the PC reboots itself. If I remember right, the HD update was relesed the same time of my last PC crash so I thought it might have been a problem between the highpoint drivers and the update for XP. I Reinstall XP once again....move my important data over to the 30GB partition I made up for back ups and format C:\. I reinstalled XP again....do all the updates including the HD fix...reboot...everything is working fine..I install Office XP...but don't set up anything...then install SP1. Reboot...It works...so Far...I'm starting to think its a highpoint driver problem..the newest releases don't work with XP system restore program unless you remove a file (which I did, but could never get a restore point back to work on the 2 crashes I had), so right now I'm sticking with the MS driver included with XP to see what happens.

Scott
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

If you have the newest VIA Chipsets, you might want the INF file from the 4-in-1's, but that's it.

The VIA Miniport IDE driver sucks.

The AGP driver sucks 50 percent of the time.

Supposedly the newest of the new 4-in-1's just install the AGP driver, the INF file, and the IDE filter. Supposedly. I just avoid them. They're bad.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

The HighPoint controller have had some serious issues, but they should have been fixed with driver updates etc.

I use VIA's 4 in 1 and I have no problems whatsoever !!!!!

I have used VIA's 4 in 1 as a default installation and I did a manual installation as well ----> still no problems !

manual installation ---> Manually upgrading the different VIA drivers found under Hardware\system devices with the ones in the 4 in 1, the drivers in the 4 in 1 is NOT being used even when you install the 4in1's ----> shocked ----> still no issues !!
            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I tend to keep clear except for last resort.
              Highpoint controllers and their drivers tend to be buggy as well.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X