The heat is building up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The heat is building up

Samsung is to go into volume production of DDR400 SDRAM 128Mb memory in Q2. The world's biggest DRAM maker is already sampling the fast memory chip with its major customers - and it is gunning for $300m worth of sales from the device in 2002.
    The chip operates on 2.8 volts and lives inside 12mm x12mm FBGA packaging. Fine-pitch ball grid array is the JEDEC standard for x32 DDR SDRAM, so, as Samsung helpfully points out, graphics board manufacturers using DDR can swap out the memory device for an easy upgrade.
    the full article is here http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/24265.html

rubank
    Last edited by rubank; 4 March 2002, 06:05.

Ah.. I wonder how far in advance, a memory compagny sends out preproduction samples to interested buyers?

Just wondering..

~~DukeP~~

Comment

is this 200 mhz x 2 to make 400 ddr or is it 400 x 2 to make 800ddr?
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

2 x 400 MHz

Comment

Quote*
          Ah.. I wonder how far in advance, a memory compagny sends out preproduction samples to interested buyers?

what Nvidia and Ati for instance?

Comment

However, the fact that this is a 128Mb part may hamper sales to card makers - the high-end Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 uses 256Mb memory, for instance.
            anyone know of these 256meg monoliths?i havent seen or heard of them personally.
            and aside from bragging about the biggest card in town why would anyone want 256meg?128 is not even utilised to any whee near its potential yet and 64 is more than adequate today.

Comment

I know of one game at least that would love that much texture RAM... Everquest. On my system if I turn all the Luclin textures and models on at max quality the system eats around 1.25 gigs of memory. The poor AGP bus gets a workout, along with the HD as it tries to keep stuff swapped in and out. But since I think the new models are hideous abominations I just leave 'em off.

Comment

Why is this in TCB?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Probably because he's hinting/hoping that DDR400 shows up on the card rumored to be the Parhelia.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If Matrox is going to make 256Bit memory bus on parhelia, I doubt that they would be using most expensive memory. At first, when you have double wide bus, you don't need such a fast memory chips. Of Course it would make it even faster, but also a whopping expensive. For Example 256Bits wide bus running on DDR600 will give already 19.2GB/s. (GF4 Ti4600 has little bit over 10GB/s.) So that would make that thing already fly.

or Perhaps they will have cards running on different memory clocks. Like they had G400 and G400MAX.

hmmh... let's see...
                    how about:
                    - High end card running at DDR650 and giving 20.3GB/s memory bandwidth and including 128MB of memory. (just because everyone else has it too. )

- a value card running at DDR500 and giving 16GB/s memory bandwidth and including 64MB of memory.

Of course there could be some other differencies too and maybe even more versions. (heck, just look at the G450 series at the moment. )
                    "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      Probably because he's hinting/hoping that DDR400 shows up on the card rumored to be the Parhelia.

Jammrock
                      it is DDR800 or 400Mhz DDR.

DDR400 would be 200Mhz DDR.
                      "Dippadai"

Comment

Whatever...it's fast.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                          ...anyone know of these 256meg monoliths?i havent seen or heard of them personally.
                          and aside from bragging about the biggest card in town why would anyone want 256meg?128 is not even utilised to any whee near its potential yet and 64 is more than adequate today.
                          That info must be wrong, according to nVidia the GF4 can´t take more than 128 Mb.

And you´re right, it´s quite enough. For now

rubank

Comment

Originally posted by rubank

That info must be wrong, according to nVidia the GF4 can´t take more than 128 Mb.

And you´re right, it´s quite enough. For now

rubank
                            unless the parhelia can do something that needs ALOT of memory, im not sure about this, but i have heard that vulometric textures is rather memory-hungry, apart from that, I think it is about time we see some 2k*2k textures.
                            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

bits != Bytes

Ok, guys...

This is just confusing. For the first point, I believe that the register is flat-out wrong here. From everything I was able to dig up, the Ti4600 does indeed use 128Mb parts. However, it also sounds like you need a tiny bit of educating / straightening out. The part is 128Mb, notice the small 'b'. That means bits, not bytes. 8 bits make a byte, so the part is actually16 megabytes of memory. The memory is organized into rows and columns, with rows being selected by the address and each column being output as one bit on the bus. The organization of the 128Mb parts used are 4Mx32, meaning 4x2^20 rows by 32 columns, or bits. Put 4 of these chips together, as the Ti4600 does, and you have a 128-bit memory bus. Then double the address space, and split it between two sets of these 4 chips, and you have the nVidia crossbar memory system using 128MB (notice the big "B", that's megabytes) of memory.

So, in short, the Register was wrong, and some of you guys were a little on the confused side.
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, My name is not Bryce and I'm not a man...

Comment

Working...
                              X