PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 & McAfee oddity

RichL
4th March 2002, 03:30
Just wondering if anyone had come across this before :
I was building a Win2000 machine and one of the first things I did was install McAfee AntiVirus 4.03 (Windows NT version), which works fine.
Then I remember I ought to have changed the Administrator ID from the default 'Administrator', and when I do I find McAfee's is unable to start the background on-access virus scanner.
Renaming the admin ID back to "Administrator" and it works again.

Gurm
4th March 2002, 05:23
That's 'cuz McAfee sucks ass.

- Gurm

RichL
4th March 2002, 07:39
Thanks Gurm, you're a real help.

Any helpful answers?

Gurm
4th March 2002, 11:48
I'd guess a reinstall (of McAfee), or maybe it's a permissions thing.

I WAS being helpful. If I can convince you that NEXT year when you need to spend money on an AV program you should get anything BUT McAfee, then I will have succeeded in making the world a better place.

- Gurm

The PIT
5th March 2002, 00:30
I had this at work. Uninstalling and re-installing didn't fix it. The only solution was to use version 4.5.1 which runs perfectly. Another Mcafee cock up which means all users need admin rights which is piss poor when you got meddlers on the system.

The PIT
5th March 2002, 23:36
The funny thing is I cxan't remember the earlier versions of the engine and dat files doing it so it maybe a bug they introduced.
As Gurm says Mcafee suck bit style.

orangejulius
9th March 2002, 12:47
Hi Rich, if you're looking for an alternative, you might try <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,56363,00.asp">InoculateIT</a>. It's not free anymore but is still quite a good deal -- takes less resources than McAfee and works in XP.