Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RH7.2/XFree86-4.2/G550/DRI

Newbie question...

I've got a RH 7.2 system with a G550 installed. I'm not having any luck getting DRI functioning. I've pulled the latest 2.0 beta driver from Matrox.

I get this when starting X:

/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.o: init_module: Cannot allocate memory
    /lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.o: insmod mga failed
    [drm] failed to load kernel module "mga"
    (EE) MGA(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.

lsmod does not show agpgart or mga loaded.

When I attempt to manually run an "insmod agpgart" I get a:

/lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: init_module: No such device

I've recompiled both all of X and the mga module.

Any pointers???

One more detail FWIW...

This is in an AMD Athlon 1.4G, ASUS A7M266 motherboard based machine.. 512M DDR RAM, X is set to run at 4XAGP.

Comment

First thought: Make sure you have the correct agpgart module compiled (there are several).
      Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

The date/time of the agpgart.o file match the rest of the kernel modules (all the latest stock stuff from RH). I have the matching/latest source for the kernel, including those for this, but I'm not certain how to compile just this piece (I tried the Makefile in that directory).

I tried loading agpgart on my laptop (same kernel level, but Intel and obviously no Matrox) and it loads fine there...

Comment

Well, specifically I was talking about making sure the agpgard you're using has support for your chipset. In my linux configuration menu (2.4.17), there are intel 440lx/bx/gx, i815/i830m/i840/i850, intel i810/i815/i830m, via, amd irongate, sis, ali, and serverworks chipset options for my agpgart module.
          I'm not totally sure how to check what chipset support your agpgart module has, but running it through 'strings' ($ strings /lib/modules/...../agpgart.o) and going down 2-3 screens has what looks like a list of chipsets that fit mine. (Via)
          Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

After searching around the net a bit more, I found the "agp_unsupported=1" option for the agpgart module. Specifying that causes it to load properly and then mga.o loads as well. Everything is now looking good and the speed is way up on a number of things that were unusable before...

Thanks for the hints,
            Al

Comment

Working...
            X