• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN XP Shell replacement

I have considered changing my explorer shell with this shell

Any experinces in shell replacement under Win XP greatly appreciated

Some SHELL Resources

shell extensions, free Windows power tools, explorer enhancements, windows add-ons, tweaks, system utilities, context menu, right click, freeware, internet explorer, shell, extension
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

Ought to work, but... of course the problem is that many programs tend to rely fairly explicitly on functions provided by explorer.exe, however it OUGHT to work regardless. *shrug*

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

ought to work .... yes, exactly what I'm thinking and yes many programs could go ...nuts.

anyone tried replacing their shell ? 9x, 2K or XP ?

Comment

I have used Litestep on 95,98,98SE and W2k since the 0.24 version more than 3 years ago

Any questions you have:

Fire away!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ok .. thx

well .. the major question I have ( for now ) is, does it work 100 pct.
          no issues ?
          (windowsupdate still works etc.)

(I could settle with 90 pct. because I'm kinda hooked on it)

If I'm having second thoughts about it .. can it be easily removed again ? (back to explorer)

Does it fix the annoying .. I have to parse all DivX avi's to find their bitrate (even corrupt ones)... thing which XP have ?

and finally I'm hearing all sorts of scary stuff regarding the .rc files .. are they that scary or is it simply a matter of getting used to them ?
          Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 2 March 2002, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
            ok .. thx

well .. the major question I have ( for now ) is, does it work 100 pct.
            no issues ?
            (windowsupdate still works etc.)

It is more dependant on IE, so as long as you use IE, winuppdate will work..

(I could settle with 90 pct. because I'm kinda hooked on it)
            The latest builds have been near the 99.95% mark

If I'm having second thoughts about it .. can it be easily removed again ? (back to explorer)
            Oh, yes
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon,Shell value controlls what app is shell.

Just change back to "Explorer.exe" and reboot and you are safe back on MS shell...

Does it fix the annoying .. I have to parse all DivX avi's to find their bitrate (even corrupt ones)... thing which XP have ?
            Haven't experienced this as I don't have XP , Sorry ;(

and finally I'm hearing all sorts of scary stuff regarding the .rc files .. are they that scary or is it simply a matter of getting used to them ?
            As you said Its a matter of gettin acoustomed to it..

Othervise there is a GUI app awailable:

AlphaLS .RC Editor Beta 6.10

Other Site's to keep under the scope:

FPN

www.shellfront.org
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Is Litestep like the 98lite I bought for installing Windows 98, 98se or me without IE integration?

Comment

No, Its a interface replacement.....

But its a great companion to 98lite

Comment

Cool. I'll check it out

Comment

Hello Kosh
                    If you are prepared to pay then you could give Stardock a look. Object Desktop doesnt replace Explorer, just enhances it.

Regards MD
                    Interests include:
                    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                    X