Overkill ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill ;)

My case was getting a tad too small so I splashed out on one of these babies

I now feel compelled to buy more drives to fill it
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Sweet
    When I become a millionaire I will buy one of those too (took a look at the prices, even the model without the window costs 350€ here)...

Comment

My g/f thinks I am compensating for something!

it's gonna look sweet when i get my water cooling kit in there....I'll be able to see it flooding! Perhaps I should get a fish???
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I should have known!

I hope you are very happy together - I bet you daren't mod a case that expensive!

T.
        FT.

Comment

Lian Li - expensive as h*ll, but who cares
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Coward!!!!! This will make it more fun!!!!

Comment

When I become a millionaire I will buy one of those too...
              Then again, I might buy one of these: http://www.frozencase.com/

Comment

Personally, I like going to the smaller cases and putting them under/alongside the desk and out of the way. I also use an external SCSI box so there's plenty of room and device accessibility. Why don't you buy an Apple if you want a PC that's an art piece.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Ha.. if you think that's overkill..

Before you ask, yeah, I do actually use the SCA module.. 3 80 pin Seagate Cheetahs live in there.

Comment

so are the lian li cases as good as the coolermasters from a cooling point of view?
                    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

To be flat out honest guys the only real advantage of having an all aluminum case vs the typical steel type is weight. Proper ventilation is the key to keeping any case cool, not the material they are made from per se.

If your looking for an aluminum case but without the expense of the Lian Li's I'd suggest Maxtop or Skyhawk cases... these are all aluminum... tho the Maxtop has a plastic bezel.

Newegg.com carries these at half the price (or more) than the Lian Li or CoolerMaster cases.

Newegg Maxtop case link
                      Newegg Skyhawk case link
                      Last edited by Greebe; 2 March 2002, 17:52.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My SCSI drives are a lot cooler thanks to the spacing between them. My CPU now operates at a flat 40'C (before it was ~50'C) under full load.

My ambient case temp has shot up from ~28'C to nearly 40'C under full load!!! I am currently running the computer with the side off.

The Lian-Li case is not modified in any way, and I am using the stock 4x80mm fans on full. My old case which was a GlobalWin 802 had 6x80mm fans and a 120mm fan.

The case is very, very light. However, the computer sounds much louder... that's even with half the fans of the 802!

The Perspex windows is nice to look at, but it attracts dust like beer to a hobo.

I am going to run the fans at 7v just to keep the air moving, but I think that the majority of my cooling will be achieved by water.... I would be interested in hearing other people’s success stories with this, or a similar case, as I am not sure where I should put the rad...

The case is expensive... but I thought it was a bargin at £75

Comment

Patrick, where you place the radiator depends on what your cooling goals are. In my case (pun intended) I mounted the radiator underneath drawing air from up under the case and blowing up into it inorder gain greatest cpu cooling. With this setup case ambient is typically 5-6c above room ambient temp.

Having the radiator completely external tho would not just be the quietest but would also maintain the lowest overall case ambient.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

i'd prefer it all to be internal... that way i keep some portability... bescides, the case is tall enough as it is!

I can place the rad at the top above the PSU (not good if it leaks!), at the top of the 5 1/4 drive bays, or under the 3 1/2 drive bays...

Cheers for the prompt reply!

Comment

If you have the space, mount it on the right side case panel with the connection port at the bottom... most cases have room for the radiator to be mounted between the MB backplane and right side panel. Mount the fans on the interior side of the backplane. Use a closed cell foam self adhesive insulation to seal the radiator to the side panel & backplane.

Comment

Working...
                              X