I love Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Computers

Boy, Do I love days like these! I have a Linux server where I work at that has a SCSI Plextor CD-R/W drive in it. The Drive died back in January and I Finally got it back from the Disturbtor today, after it was sent back to them, then to their supplier then Finally to Plextor for repair! Thankfully the Process didnt take as long to get it back...only had to jump through 2 hoops before getting back to me .

I pop in the CD-R/W...watch the server boot back up and I see that the Adaptac Card is showing one of the Two SCSI160 IBM drives isn't starting up propery. So I shut down the machine and run IBM drive fitness test on it and it comes up with an error saying the device isnt accessable. Then I notice that I have the Plextor plugged into the wrong SCSI slot (it was on the onboard SCSI, when it should have been with the HDs), so I fix where the Plextor goes and shut off the machine and restarts....boots up fine without any errors for the IBM drive in the machine. I say to myself...hmm I better test this a couple times. Well after 6 reboots that same Drive craps out again, never getting picked up again by the SCSI card. I run the drive fitness test and get the same extact error I got the first time...oh well time to call Jodie the RMA girl at the Distrubtor we use and get another IBM hard drive .

This makes the 5rd or 6th IBM drive that has died (nationwide) on this series of Servers we've just got in this past December . I thought that IBM made good SCSI drives and the GXP series was the ones with the problems ...I guess it just goes to show that the US goverment uses the lowest bidder possible

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

IBM does seem to have a QA problem of late. I don't think I'll buy any more from them for a while.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

depends on which IBM drive model you got... I've got a DDRS series (9ES) one, and it's their 'entrance level workstation' series... it's currently in the process of dying (*CLICK*....*CLICK*) but I'll keep it untill it finally dies since there's still 2 years warrantee left on it.

Comment

Working...
      X