Matrox G400 Max and Windows NT 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 Max and Windows NT 4.0

I am planning on putting a G400 Max in my computer at work. The computer is a dual P3 800 Mhz running Windows NT 4.0 with service pack 6.

Are there any installation issues I should be aware of before putting this card in?

Also, I'm wondering, will I be able to use two monitors with this card with two different refresh rates and resolutions? I have a small 14" monitor I would like to use in conjunction with my 19" monitor, but they obviously won't be able to run at the same resolution.

Will I be able to output a DVD to my secondary monitor in NT 4.0?

Thanks.

I dunno about installation issues, i never tried a Matrox card under NT4 (2000 on the other hand...)

you cannot use seperate refreshrates/resolutions with NT4 in dual head... NT4 never officially supported multimonitor solutions. this was added in 2000, and enhanced in XP.

Using DVDMax in NT4 should work fine, but i have not tried it so i dunno.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

DGhost, Thanks for the reply.

Anyone have experience with the G400 Max and NT 4.0?

Comment

DG is correct.
        NT4.0 will not support multi-monitor the way you want it to with any single-chip, dual-output card.
        You will only be able to 'stretch' your desktop across your displays, not treat them as independant displays. You will have to run them both at the same resolution and refresh rate.

If you upgrade your OS to anything newer than NT4.0, you will be able to do what you want to.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with NT4 since I use a finite element software program that won't support anything over NT4 (subsequent versions of the program will, but I'm stuck at this version because of a client I work for).

The main reason I got this card for was to improve my 2D visuals at resolutions greater than 1024x768 (I currently have a Diamond V770 non-ultra which has pretty bad 2D visuals over 1024x768). So, I'll probably still benefit from this card.

However, I was wanting to be able to show DVD's or DivX movies on the other monitor at a different resolution and refresh rate since it's only a 14" monitor (I need to have something to do while monitoring a long finite element analysis late in the evening .

Comment

I've used one here at work uder NT 4.0. I didn't have any install issues.

I don't use the dual-head.

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
            X