Some More P4 Action!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some More P4 Action!

Don't usual read T's HW but this cought my attention over at 3d spotlight!
    A little late with this one, I can't believe I missed it yesterday (that's what happens when you're flying around in airplanes all day . Anyhow, Toms Hardware got hold of the new P4/266MHz chip. Yes, this is basically our Northwood friend running at 133MHz front side bus. The benchmarks are amazing, and it looks like Intel is really taking a step in the right direction.
    CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I picked up on this story yesterday.
    I'm a great fan of Intel, always have been and probably always will be an Intel user, however I think I'll wait until a more, how do we say, "reliable" site gives us some more information on the Northwood B CPU's
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

It looks reliable enough. Impressive.

When are AMD going to give the XP's a boost?

Comment

And it wont be a big boost that is needed to get ahead again for amd:

If amd switch to 166 fsb Athlon XP's will probably gain the crown again....

and realy :

A P4 2400/133/533 neded to beat a XP 2000+ (1666/133/166)!!

and IF intel would make a Tualatin that could do 1666 (not that farfetched) with a buss speed of 133 and 133 DDR it would also be better than P4!!

the P4 seems more and more a dream CPU for marketing:

Lots and lots of MHz!!

its that wats Joe Average looks at!!!

And the most monumental that iritates me with BOTH AMD and INTEL!!

THE FSB SPEED is WHIMPY!!!

All modern CPU's have gone from sucking air from a bottle neck to a *straw* !!!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

the 533Mhz (well not actually, but 133 quad-pumped) bus for the P4 is whimpy in your opinion?

Comment

If you compare it to old Pentium 66 that had an fsb that equaled the CPU's internal speed.

And again the big glass of Norrlands.

Comment

Said from some one who has a beer as avatar.....
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Just kidding man, got pulled in by rubank last night.

What's wrong with beer!?!
                Last edited by Novdid; 27 February 2002, 02:34.

Comment

No, I suppose there is nothing wrong with beer, some people even drink it...

Comment

Beer MMmmm Beer Mmmmm
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      And it wont be a big boost that is needed to get ahead again for amd:

If amd switch to 166 fsb Athlon XP's will probably gain the crown again....

and realy :

A P4 2400/133/533 neded to beat a XP 2000+ (1666/133/166)!!

and IF intel would make a Tualatin that could do 1666 (not that farfetched) with a buss speed of 133 and 133 DDR it would also be better than P4!!

the P4 seems more and more a dream CPU for marketing:

Lots and lots of MHz!!

its that wats Joe Average looks at!!!

All modern CPU's have gone from sucking air from a bottle neck to a *straw* !!!

NOW .... don't get me started or this will turn into a flamewar thread !!!!!!

Plz ... back your statements with some solid evidence ...plz

I don't know how much upping the FSB to 166 on Athlon XP's would give, but in the light of recent DDR333 articles, I doubt it would give that much, unless the CPU itself is changed to utilize the better bandwidth (L1 and L2 cache can only transfer so much data at a time)!! as of now it is limited to 2128 MB/S.
                      I guess that is why AMD is aiming for DUAL - Channel DDR, just like Intel is.

One thing the PIV has shown is it's abillity to scale, performance wise, extremely well with the increase in FSB !! I mean a 2666 beating a 3000 Mhz in almost all tests !!! Which is why I won't reccomend anyone thinking of buying a PIV system to buy one with DDR ram, at least not until DUAL-DDR ram is introduced towards the end of 2002.

I totally disagree with your straw theory !!!! Which the recent developments in RAM speed and bandwidth does too.
                      Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                      incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

What I've seen in more than one test is that some KT333 boards offer synchronous 166/166 operation. And what I can make of it it seems the Athlon XP can benefit from the bandwidth just fine. The link maybe ain't that creditable. The site seems promoted by Epox, but non the less the results speak for them selves. They use a TB 1,4 GHz CPU, but the Palomino based CPU's should benefit more from higher FSB's because of some prefetch functions.

A side note is that MSI's KT3 Ultra board also seems to support 166MHz FSB. Time to unlock those precious XP's, no???

AMD must increase the FSB if they want that their CPU line to scale well with future increments of frequencies. In my opinion its just foolish to not increase the FSB when the XP's hit >1900MHz
                        Last edited by Novdid; 27 February 2002, 04:55.

Comment

Some (or most ) of the performance gain .. also come from the improvements VIA has made to the chipset itself ..( KT266 vs KT266A ) and not the increase in FSB itself.

Comment

That's maybe true but I don't see any obstacles for AMD to make the move anyways.

Comment

no .. neither do I .... but ....

A re-design would make for better improvements .. and that's where the K8 comes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X