Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is wrong with GeForce 3 image quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is wrong with GeForce 3 image quality?

Finally decided to give up on Matrox for a high-end gaming card. So got a Geforce 3 (original). Seems a damn impressive card to me...

Anyway I've heard a lot of FUD about Image Quality spread on these lists. This card seems absolutely fine (on this 22" screen). I probably shouldn't ask this, since once I know it will bug me. But what exactly is the problem? It looks fine to me.

Before anyone gets at me for knocking Matrox, I'm not! I think they are doing a great job, just addressing the needs of other markets. The MMS series in particular is fantastic. Twenty screen monitor grids each with their own GPU.... I have 3 flatpanels on a G100MMS and it rocks. And the traders in NY have 2 rows of 5 monitors or so I heard.

Here we go again... what resolution are you running 2D at?

Wait don't answer that... one more post and you'll be a MURCer
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And how many hz on 2kx1.5kx32bit?
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

What 22" monitor???

I've heard some good stories about Gainward GF3 (not titanium), and the question would be what GF???

Comment

Yeah here we go again! Sorry... Not usually on this forum, so miss these topics. Should've guessed though

I am running at 1280x1024@85Hz on an Iiyama VMPro 510. The Geforce 3 is a Dell OEM one (pretty much a reference board).

So I guess the point is that it won't handle 1600x1200 at 100Hz+ clearly or something? I'll have to give that a go. It was never that good on my G400MAX though. Probably the cable!

Still have a G450 PCI in here, so I'll have to give it a try with the coax lead on both cards.

Finally made MURCer status Even had to resort to Image Quality posts dammit!

Comment

I have a Gainward GF3 Ti200 hooked up to my 19" Sony 420GS. At 1280x960 I can see the difference compared to my MAX. It's not bothersome, but noticable. Black-on-white text is definitely fuzzier, for one.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Much better, we need details.

Comment

cking, seems to me you need to drop some money on a new monitor

P.S. you shouldn't see any difference at 800x600 res
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Must say I'm not seeing significant difference at 1600x1200. Mind you the Geforce 3 is meant to be much better than the Geforce 2 for visual quality... Maybe Dell had decent RF components used in this board? Anyway I'm thinking its definitely worth it for the stupid acceleration if you do any 3D

I do miss having the docs though And a decent framebuffer device... Mind you, wonder if Matrox will ever officially tell me how the Maven works? Or how to do TVout on the G450? Or the WARP. Hmmm. I think not

Comment

I recommend the Iiyama ones. The picture quality is very good. The after sales support is amazing! They came round, took away the old monitor and replaced it at the same time within a few days. My one gripe with it is the convergence can only be adjusted horizontally/vertically for the whole screen.

As for the Geforce 3. Found that page at Anandtech that cking mentioned. So it is just dodgy low pass filters on some cards then? Might have to remove those capacitors if higher res is not clear...

Comment

Working...
                    X