Help with MPG-1, MPG-2, MPG-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with MPG-1, MPG-2, MPG-4

Recently I finished a project - 352x288 MJPEG AVI - 1.9GB 35minutes (just before the 2gb wall )), however I tried to MPG encode it, and store it for further use. I used the Panasonic encoder, which allows high quality encoding.

During the first attempt, I had the bitrate of 1600Kb/sec, which is a default setting. After 27 minutes have been encoded, the encoder 'said' that the bitrate is too low???

I increased it to 1900KB/sec - no problems this time with the encoding BUT when I try to playback this file, some video 'chunks' are missing, while the sound is continuous. I do not know if this comes from the encoding itself, or may be my HDD is not fast enough for 1900KB.sec ??

Is MPG2 better than MPG1 in quality ? What about MPG4 ? Which is best for 'archive' creation? Which software creates high quality (high bitrate) mpg1, 2, 4 ?

Please help

Best regards

Ivan

------------------
    -----------------------
    PIII500, 64MB, 10.1 GB IBM 7200rpm,
    G400DH, 32MB + RR-G
    -----------------------
    G400DH, 32MB + RR-G

I am not sure about the difference in quality of MPG1 and 2, but I do know that to encode to MPG4v.3 you need to use the old Microsoft codec or get a hacked one. The latest version of Media Player installs the new codec, so you'll have to repalce it with the old one. I believe there is a copy of it on this site in the download section. MPG4v.3 looks pretty good and if you have a Matrox video card (which I a m assuming) you can even enable capture with it (also on this site). To edit with it you need MSP6. The file size is a lot smaller (about 1/10th), but due to the fact that it uses the differences from the previous frame to build the next one, it is a little picky. As for the question about the data rate being too high, I would be surprised if it is. With what your sytem is, that doesn't seem high at all to me. I have my MPG4v.3 set too 6000 kbs, with no problems at all. If anything the data rate may still be too low and if you can select the keyframes, set it too as many as possible (less time between them), each keyframe is a full frame of info and should help to make sure that ou don't lose as much info between frames. It doesn't make the file size much bigger either. The Panasonic encoder also has different quality settings and such, try the different settings based on the level of action and such.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Hi

MPEG1 will give you the most compact but lowest quality files. MPEG2 will give you the best quality but largest ones (this is the compression system used for DVDs and digital satellite transmission) and is recommended for archiving. However, translating back to MJPEG may cause you some heartache, 'cos you have lost some detail. MPEG4 works on a different principle to the other two but can give good quality, especially where there is not too much fast movement. However, do NOT use any of the Microsoft codecs, because they do not conform to the MPEG standards. Personally, I archive with full size MJPEG because it is the "native" quality of my system and I lose nothing, even if the files are larger. It means that I can still use them for any purpose, whether smaller or same size.

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks for the advice .. I would prefere also to keep the files in MJPEG AVI's .. but it is really too large. I would probably consider using MPG-2 encoder .. but which one ??
        -----------------------
        G400DH, 32MB + RR-G

Comment

Working...
        X