Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connect my roommates to highspeed?

Hi

I live in house with 2 other roommates scattered around the house in separate rooms...I have a highspeed in my room and was wonder what the best - cheapest - solution would be to connect everyone up....I am using a telephone line based adsl extrenal 3coms modem connected to my internal dlink530...I have heard about wireless routers?...would this be what I am looking for and if so how would that work? They cost about $250 canadian where I live....any suggestions?

dan

I use a Linksys Cable/DSL router/switch/firewall to connect my network to the internet.

The switch is 100 mbps full duplex and mine has 4 ports + the WAN port that connects to the cable modem. Other versions are out there with 1 to 8 ports. The 1 and 4 port boxes run under $100 with the 8 port running ~$130 +/-.

Now...my version is hard-wired with cat5 cable, but they also make versions that are wireless or use phone lines to connect the remote systems. These run a bit more though and would require a wireless or phone NIC on each system. The wired version will work with existing NIC's. I use both Linksys LNE100TX'S and SMC's with good results.

It works great and the internal firewall scores either "invisible" from Shields UP! or gets a perfect 0 from DSL-Reports. Both indicate very strong security from the built-in firewall.

Extra benefit: no system resource use or configuration issues from a soft-firewall. I just plugged mine in, entered my ISP's host name in the setups and was off to the races.

One issue for gamers: such a strong firewall can make it difficult to connect to some gaming servers. There are ways in the setups to either remove a system from the firewall (DMZ mode) or to open specific ports to fix this.

I've had mine running for almost a year and a half 24/7 without a single problem.

Terry
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 February 2002, 11:46.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I use a linux fire wall going into a 100mb switch for the three main PC's in the PC room, I also have a wireless 11mb hub that plugs into the switch, and my wife's pc (in the lounge room) has a usb wireless adapter.

It works fairly well but if you can just run some cat 5 cable along the hall its much cheaper (only about 5% of the cost of doing it wireless). I'd let you know the brands but what i have is specific to japan, and the company doesn't sell what I have OS.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

As Doc does, I also use a Linksys 4 port router ( hardwired)and it works great, although when I first installed it I placed it close to the computer downstairs (quick and convenient)and it gave me nothing but grief. It kept disconnecting, not connecting to certain web sites??, and other weird anomalies. I got fed up and moved it right at the phone line where it came into the house and poof!! all problems were gone! Of course I had to run RJ45 cable, but no big deal. Its worked great ever since. I am assuming the phone line that was run from where the main line entered the house, to the computer area, had been run through the joists beside high voltage lines (110V) and this was creating noise in this line enough to give me grief. I had actually tried a few different routers and had the same problem. We also have an SMC at work and it also works flawless.

Lenl

Comment

In my house we currently use a 1 port Linksys router with a switch right there. The topography of the network is scrary as we have people scattered all over the house on two floors who need to access the modem. Other than the main switch we use two other switches connected by long CAT5 cable to each other and then to the main switch. This seems to be the cheapest route as Cat5 cable is very cheap and so are the routers/switches you would need.

Hope I've helped

dsp
          1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
          512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
          MSI 845PE FISR
          8.4GB Quantum CR
          40GB Maxtor 5400
          MSI 40X12X48
          Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
          SB Audigy
          Parhelia (210/600)
          19" Dell P991
          Win2kPro
          Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

I use a GVC single port router at home... works great...

Going with a hardware solution is IMHO the easiest way to guarentee the least amount of headaches and inconvienence... and if you plan it right you can make up most of the money for it and the High Speed by having them rent it from you at a reduced rate.
            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

super info guys! thanks for the help...will set it up soon...

dan

Comment

Working...
              X