The Keyboard Dishwasher HowTo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Keyboard Dishwasher HowTo

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I knew people that would actually wash their keyboards in the dishwasher. They used cheap keyboards, and it was cheaper for them to replace the keyboards that didn't survive the wash than to actually pay someone to wash the keyboards by hand.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually washing keyboards or most anything else elelctronic (exception being HD's) has been done for decades.

One place I worked at we had a cleaning room specifically for this purpose. Just pop into the dishwasher with Cascade (or similar) powder. To dry we had a refridgerator wired up as a heat box and a temperature controller set to ~180-200f. Either using that or a hairdryer to get it done in a jiffy.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

seriously?? Just put it in the dishwasher?? I ask because here at work, being an automotive shop, our keyboards get unholy crud on em alot and all day long. One of my staff, being the helpful newbie that she is, tried to clean one of em. Apparently some of the crud got moved into a bad part and fried a few circuits(they were actually black and burnt looking) so it needed to be replaced.

So I should just fling em in my dishwasher?? sounds too easy
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Two words of advice:

DONT try this with an original IBM keyboard. All those little springs thend to rust.

Dont disassemble the IBM keyboard, unless U are REALLY bored...
          ..... Spring, peeew, rattle rattle, clink, clink....

128 small springs litter the floor...

~~DukeP~~
          who off course never tried this at home

Comment

I'm using an IBM keyboard off some 3 year old IBM workstation. Nice weighted base, better than my other keyboards which are all ghetto no-name crap. When I spilt liquid on it, I unpluged it and ran it under the sink until all the crap was gone. Waited about 2 days to make sure everything was dry. Good as new.
            Primary system specs:
            Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Warning

If you wash you keyboard, it removes all of the grease put onto key shafts to make them move smoothly. I know my old keyboard never was quite as good after I washed it the first time.

You may have to reoil them (using some sort of silicon lubricant or other thin, non oil lubricant.
              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Hey, I had the exact same keyboard + 1 full glass of coffee inside it.
                No dishwasher so I washed it myself, dried it in the sun for 20 minutes, reassembled and it worked like new.

A few months later I had a hot chocolate incident in my car which filled my Sony car-sereo panel with lots and lot's of sticky stuff. This time it took >48 hours to dry off. The Off button didn't recover 100% but it's ok 85% of the time I use it (in the other 15% it switches from Radio to CD instead of turning off, another click and everything is fine).

Comment

Working...
                X