RT 2500 PCI Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT 2500 PCI Slot

I believe the slot nearest the AGP is hardwired on a Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard. I will be installing a RT 2500 shortly with a G450 Video card. Question: If I install the RT 2500 in the slot nearest to the AGP slot will that cause a problem?? Or do I have to move to another empty PCI slot for the Matrox RT 2500. The RT 2500 requires a IRQ and so does the Video Card can they share the same IRQ??

John F. Clarke

There should be an INT/IRQ sharing chart in your mainboards manual. INT lines are what's really shared and there are only 4 of them; INTA, INTB, INTC and INTD.

On most, but not all, 440BX boards I've seen;

AGP usually shares INTA with a PCI slot, typically PCI slot #1 which is right next to the AGP slot.

On most BX boards PCI slot #2 is unshared and is a good place to put capture & other sensitive devices.

The other PCI slots either share with another PCI or with system devices like the USB.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      [B]There should be an INT/IRQ sharing chart in your mainboards manual. INT lines are what's really shared and there are only 4 of them; INTA, INTB, INTC and INTD.

On most, but not all, 440BX boards I've seen;

I understand about the slots the real question if I have the Video card in the AGP slot do I have to leave the PCI slot right next to the AGP empty?

Thank you for explanation of the slot arrangement. It helps and explains why some things are happening on my motherboard.

Oh one other thing I believe the RT 2500 has in and out audio connectors on the breakout box, by any chance can the output of the CD ROM drive plug into the RT 2500 Card. That would be neat and I could eliminate anoter PCI card slot by taking out my Turtle beach Snata Cruz.

John F. Clarke

Comment

The slot next to the AGP very often shares an INT line with it. This makes it a very poor choice for putting a capture, audio or raid card. Most times I don't use it at all if I can avoid it.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          The slot next to the AGP very often shares an INT line with it. This makes it a very poor choice for putting a capture, audio or raid card. Most times I don't use it at all if I can avoid it.

Dr. Mordrid
          Ok you answered the question. I have left that slot open. I pulled my network card that gave me one empty slot and in it place to perserve my network I put in a D-Link USB to Ethernet hub. Works great but slower than a pure 10 MPS net but I can still trnasfer files. I will arrange the rest so I can have the ATA 133 card the third one down and the second slot for the RT 2500 card. If not I have to pull my ATA 133 card and put the two drives in the primary cable. However that will downgrade the Diamnod ata 133 drive to ata 100. Drat. Juggle time to get the best performance. I will go to the Matrox site to see If I can get a answer about plugging in a CD ROM Audio to the RT 2500. When I am captureing video I unplug all USB devices. Trying to get a 0 drop frames is a game. If I can I am home free. Thank you for the answeres.

John F. Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by tci1

Ok you answered the question. I have left that slot open. I pulled my network card that gave me one empty slot and in it place to perserve my network I put in a D-Link USB to Ethernet hub. Works great but slower than a pure 10 MPS net but I can still trnasfer files. I will arrange the rest so I can have the ATA 133 card the third one down and the second slot for the RT 2500 card. If not I have to pull my ATA 133 card and put the two drives in the primary cable. However that will downgrade the Diamnod ata 133 drive to ata 100. Drat. Juggle time to get the best performance. I will go to the Matrox site to see If I can get a answer about plugging in a CD ROM Audio to the RT 2500. When I am captureing video I unplug all USB devices. Trying to get a 0 drop frames is a game. If I can I am home free. Thank you for the answers. I just checked the Matrox site and they require a Sound card. That anser the final question and hope things goes well next week.

John F. Clarke

Comment

Working...
            X