Asus A7V... noisy System controller heat sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus A7V... noisy System controller heat sink

Ok so I just pulled Chrome Orb cooler from my machine and replaced it with a no-name (yet approved) cheap heat sink. And I've got the noise level down significantly.

However on the Via system controller chip there is another heat-sink which makes quite a bit of noise, mainly I guess cause it's running at about a gazillion RPM's.

So if I install PCprobe I can slow down the CPU fan, but will I also slow down the system controller fan ??
    (which is what I really want to do).

Or could I "trick" the system by connecting the system controller fan, to the CPU fan "power supply" (and vice cersa) and then reducing CPU fan RPM's in PCprobe???

Anybody have some experience with it?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

I would think it better to replace the fan with a better (quieter) one, than to reduce it's speed and thus airflow which could cause a failure when the northbridge chip is very stressed.

Larger fans move more air at lower sound pressure levels typically if they're run at 7vdc instead of the standard 12vdc
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X