Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Points to ponder about the Winter Olympics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points to ponder about the Winter Olympics..

If curling is a Winter Olympic sport why not have bowling in the summer olympics?

Really, curling is ok, but by the same token,

If we have short track speed skating, why not rollerderby in the summer games?

If we have snowboarding why not surfing or skateboarding?

If we have freestyle skiing, why not mountain biking?

Maybe they need to have a winter X-games so they can keep the olympics from becoming one.. I would much rather see some cross country and biathalon than these extreme dudes.. unfortunately apparently NBC thinks Americans don't appreciate these sports so we don't get to see them. I'm getting kinda fed up with seeing so much of the primadonna fairies in figure skating, too. Definitely too much of that and not enough cross country. And how does anyone know whether they'd enjoy watching curling or not? We actually don't get to see curling at all, except for "features" poking fun at it.

At least they still show the alpine skiing and ski jumping events (though not enough of them compared to figure skating)

Comment

I'm pretty sure mountain biking is an olympic sport. And no, it's not X-treme unless you're trying to bomb out going straight down. It's a nice, physically demanding, non-suicidal sport like lots of other things.

Oh, and rollerderby has always been staged, since day one.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you want to add RollerDerby, then why not add WWF-style wrasslin'???

b
        Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by spoogenet
          If you want to add RollerDerby, then why not add WWF-style wrasslin'???
          Even better, why not combine the two. In fact, rollerwrestling in a halfpipe using those curling stones could prove pretty darn entertaining.
          ...or have I been playing too much Hyperblade again?

Comment

These so-called extreme sports suck. Snowboarding is NOT extreme. Hell, regular downhill skiing is much more extreme. I'd laugh at silly crap like skateboarding if they put that in the games.

Bart
            Bart

Comment

I think skateboarders would be the ones who would laugh their @sses off...
              Hey, man... Look we're in the Olympics!
              No way man! This is really good shit, roll another one!

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                Maybe they need to have a winter X-games so they can keep the olympics from becoming one..
                I think that this is an excellent idea. They should have separate "back to the roots" olympics for sports that involve artistic impression. For example ski jumping would stay in the regular olympics because it is mostly based on how far you jump and how you come down, but ice dancing and such would have to go.
                Of course there comes the question where to draw the line, but I think it would serve the games right. The guys and gals that do halfpipe tricks are not very often the same guys that compete in snowboard downhill slalom either, so there should not be much of a problem - and even advertisers could choose whether they want to be known as a "brute force" or "life style" brand.

Comment

You can have this discussion going on forever as there is no straight answer. But if you ask me I would say snowboard downhill slalom is as much a olympic event as any other. But I'm not sure about the other freestyle events though.

As for the american TV-stations not showing any X-country, is well because your team is quite weak compared to the teams you have in the new "extreme" sports.

Comment

Snowboarding? Beach Volleyball? Figure skating?

They might as well have Olympic Counterstrike or Unreal Tournement.
                    Now that I'd watch
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

As for the american TV-stations not showing any X-country, is well because your team is quite weak compared to the teams you have in the new "extreme" sports.
                      Who cares? I cheer for the Norwegians anyhow.

Comment

If you'll notice, they are called the Olympic GAMES.

Nobody ever said anything about sports.

amish
                        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

For the artistic impression events, I'd like to see ice carving....with chainsaws.

'Artistic' events are too subjective....different people appreciate different types of art.....who scores the most goals, though, is a little more objective.

b
                          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Working...
                          X