• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus TUSL2c & Cele1.2GA any good ?

Hi,
    Is this combo good in Video editing?
    Thanks .
    James

If you can live with "only" 512 mb Ram, you won't find a better combo anywhere. Go for it! But buy decent RAM, not cheapo chips.

I have the predecessor (CUSL2-C) which is the same board with the previous version of the chipset. I absolutely love this board - rock solid, not a single glitch.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I had a bit of a nightmare with exactly this combination. I had all sorts of hardware glitches and boot problems. A replacement motherboard did not fix anything and I end up swapping it for an Abit VH6T which works perfectly.

There was some suggestion of a PSU problem as a new 300W PSU fixed some but not all of the problems. I also tried several different brands of memory without any luck.

Of course I just may have been very unlucky and got two bad boards but I certainly wasn't interested in trying a third.

David.

Comment

That's weird. I can capture for hours and hours (Marvel G200) without a single dropped frame. I had to disable busmastering in Powerdesk, though, or Windows 2000 would consistently crash after 30 frames.
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I never actually got as far as capturing video. My problems started with trying to boot the system. A change of PSU mostly fixed that but I was still left with problems. The quick list looks like this,

- Sound always dropped out after a few minutes (tried multiple cards and speakers). Device still appeared to be present and working.
          - DVD drive stopped working (happened twice with two different drives)
          - A network card stopped working once.
          - VERY slow HD performance when using a Promise FastTrack 66 or Ultra 66. <2MSec.
          - Dazzle DVC2 locked up occasionally (Hadn't had problems with it before or since).

Quite a list and repeated on two different motherboards. Every other component was changed leaving only the motherboard and processor as the common factors. A replacment Abit VH6T motherboard worked perfectly with all of these components including processor.

Of course this is just my experience with the board and I am not about to condem all TUSLC/2 motherboards on the basis of a sample of two. It may have been that I got two boards from a bad batch or something. Based on reputation I would say that any ASUS motherboard would be a good bet and an i815 based one even more so. That is why I originally brought it as I was after rock solid stability rather than performance.

David.

Comment

Working...
          X