G400MAX killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX killer

Wondering if anyone has experienced or heard anything similar to my story, which is as follows.

I have a Tyan Trinity 100AT (S1590) super 7 board running a K6-2 400. It's now currently my secondary machine but it was my main computer for a long time. About three years ago I had saved up enough money to replace my Matrox Mystique PCI with a G400MAX that I had been drooling over for months. Ordered the G400, installed it, played some bundled Expendable and everything seemed good. About a month later my system seemed to be locked up with the monitor in sleep so I hit the reset button. I got nothing. Further investigation revealed my brand new G400 was dead. I got an RMA from Matrox and sent it in. No big deal, this kind of thing happens. I got the replacement card, put it in and was happy again. About three weeks later the same thing happened. This time again I had a dead card. I got another RMA and shipped the card off but I was starting to wonder what was going on. I got the third card back, put it in and within a week it too was dead. So dead no amount of BIOS recovery flash would help. The system would power up and give the "no video" BIOS beep code. Tried the dead cards in other systems with the same result. By this time I didn't know what to do, thankfully the place I bought it from was very helpful and agreed to swap me a card of my choice. I chose a Leadtek TNT2 Ultra and never had a single problem with it. To date the following cards have spent extended amounts of time this board without incident:

Matrox Mystique PCI
    Matrox Productiva G100
    Matrox Mystique G200
    Leadtek TNT2 Ultra
    Cardex S3 Virge PCI
    ATI Rage Fury Pro
    ATI Radeon 64DDR VIVO (Locks up in 3D modes)

To date this is the only major problem I've ever had with this system that I have no been able to figure out. The G400s were all different, sporting different serial numbers and the last one even had a different style of heatsink on the RAMDAC. This brings me to my dilemma. I currently have a G550 in my main system, an Athlon 1GHz. No complaints other than it leaves a bit to be desired in terms of framerates. I would like to put my Radeon in the Athlon so I can enjoy high fps, frequent locks and the raging bug factory ATI calls "drivers." I would then like to put my G550 in the K6-2 system and use it as my "work" system. I'm rather afraid that if I do that though I will start killing off G550s. It is under warranty but if at all possible I'd like to avoid having to send yet another card back to Matrox. I E-mailed Tyan about the problem but never heard anything back. If anyone has any idea at all what could be going on here please drop a response. I did a forum search before posting and found a lot of people with compatibility problems but nothing about cards actually dieing repeatedly. Thanks ahead of time and I apologize for being so long winded.

Hi CarcassDragger

I have a Tyan S1590 and a Matrox G400 MAX, AMD K6-III 450. They worked great together for 2 years. Now my G400MAX is in my new rig with ASUS A7V266-E. I have not had any trouble with my G400 MAX. (it's slow, but that is something else... )

Sorry, i can't help you with that but i know there has been a bunch of ppl here that used Tyan S1590 and G400 MAX.

Comment

Well, counting you that's about 20+ people I know of who have run the S1590 G400MAX combo without issue for extended periods of time. All I can think is there was something goofy with my old PSU or maybe with the board. It seems odd though that all those other cards worked so well, especially the G100 and G200. Those two were each in there longer than all my MAXs combined without problems. About a month ago I got a newer case and PSU for the system so maybe that will take care of the problem. I guess the worst that can happen is it will cost me $20 to send another card back to Matrox but I can at least say I tried. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Interesting

It ain't much, but I can try to offer some suggestions:

=-=-=-
        As usual, get the latest BIOS and Chipset patches for your operating system. If the board is VIA, be sure to install the agp gart in "Turbo" mode.

Break out a can of compressed air and use it over your whole PC, in perticular your AGP slot, something might be stuck in there since you've used PCI video cards for some time.

Adjust your BIOS settings, trying first maxing settings out, then falling back a few settings at a time.

Double check all your cables. Particularily your power cables - make sure that the right amount gets to the mainboard.
        =-=-=-

Thats all from the top of my head at the moment. I'd say that you would have better luck with the G550 in there anyway, mainly because if it is a power issue (I remember some Original GForce cards doing some stupid things because of the lack of correct power going to the AGP slot) the I would assume that the G550 would use alot power because of the smaller die size - can care to confirm that?

As always, Good Luck
        2Whyzzi
        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all that stuff at the time. I just can't explain what what was going on. I put the G550 into my S1590 about a week ago. So far, so good. Haven't had any problems.

Comment

Working...
          X