Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum server problem???????

Hi!

I seem to be having, since over a week, a lot of difficulty working with this forum. It would seem that the server has been moved to the end of a noisy 200 km copper connection in the wilds of Uganda, using a 2,4 kbit/s modem, or worse.

Symptoms:
    Unable to contact the web
    If contact is made, it sticks on the banner ad and then times out
    If it gets past the banner ad, it may or may not load the site at ridiculously low speeds (often less than 50 bytes/s) or it will time out
    Occasionally, can get a whole page to load, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

???????????????

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

I've been noticing the same thing over the past week to week and a half, both at home on the modem, and at work on the T1 line.

Something has changed...

Comment

No changes have been made to the server as far as I'm aware. There were problems last weekend when it was running slowly but that was down to a general network problem with our hosts. It's been running fine for me since that was fixed.

Comment

I've noticed a slowdown the last week or so too. I connect to the internet by cable modem and it still takes up to a minute to get the main forum page to load. Posting messages is even worse.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have noticed a slowdown also. Sometimes it just never will link up. I have been going over to the RT2000 forum just to keep up some interesting reading on these DV subjects.

Comment

I'm glad to see someone else was/is having the same problem. I was beginning to think maybe my cable modem had it in for everything connected to the MURC site. The forum's main page was taking forever to load. Topic pages that took longer than 2 minutes I gave up on by hitting the Stop button. Then most of the time the posts were incomplete. I too, have a T1 at work which today seems to be working fine.

Laurie
            Laurie
            ======

Comment

Hi!

It seems to have improved again over the past day or so, PROVIDED that the banner ad URL responds (it quite often times out).

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Sorry, all. Please ignore my last post. In the few hours since, it has gone down the hill again. To open a thread with two posts took over three minutes, just now, with a transfer rate of <80 bytes/sec

------------------
                Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Hi Brian,

I've not had problems the last couple of days (well not more than the occasional glitch that I'd expect through my ISP).

Because of the size of the MURC in total and the bandwidth it munches, we can't afford the online charges ourselves and so have to rely on the good offices of Gamers Alliance to provide us with free hosting in return for posting their ads. Believe me, if there was a way that we could run our own servers in a manner that wouldn't cost us a fortune, we'd take it.

I'll try and have another chat with Ant this evening and see if he can get GA to check the server stats in case they reveal anything

Comment

Working...
                  X