Low power CPU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low power CPU's

Wouldnt it be easy for AMD and Intel to sell very low clocked versions of their current cpu's for low end computers that would run on passive cooling and still be fast enough for watching movies etc.?

I for one wouldnt mind having an athlon XP 1000+ (or 800+) 0.13mikron running parallel to a faster machine (the slow one could have a g450, the fast one a g800 )

but i guess there is no market for that kind of cpu yet

You can underclock and undervolt the CPU yourselves, making it run cooler - or at the same or only slightly higher temp using only a heatsink.
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Short answer? No.

Slowing down the processor may help it generate less heat, until it hits a region that it doesn't operate in anymore. There's plenty of circuitry in today's performance CPUs that relies on capactive charge and other tricks to get their job done. If you wait too long between clocks, that information will be gone.

Also, halting a block of the CPU can be pretty damn tricky. Well, not really the halt as much as bringing the circuit back online.

You can design with low-power considerations in mind, and you get things like the AMD PowerNow! tech. You can use power as a motivating factor from the beginning, and you get things like the the Crusoe. Also, if you're willing to give up some intense blocks, like the FPU, you can get very low power out of an otherwise conventional design, like the Via C3 does.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

try and find a Celeron-2 533Mhz.. those generate a minimal amount of heat and is more than fast enough for video playback. If you get a good heatsink (like a Zalman flower type), it should be no problem to cool it passively. I could cool my Coppermine 700 passively at 700 with one of such heatsinks without too much of a problem, though the temp got quite high (though within Intel's listed operational parameters). And that one generated (or whatever it's called when used properly ) 18.3Watts of heat, vs. 11.2 that's listed for the Celeron 533 ( http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../sspec/icp.htm )

Comment

Working...
        X