Fee for setting up hyperlinks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fee for setting up hyperlinks!

This is such BS. What do you think? And yes, this is real.

""Owners" of Hyperlink patent suing for royalty fees.
    British Telecom (BT) is suing Prodigy, claiming to own hyperlinks by virtue of a patent it filed in 1976 and received in 1989. If successful, the company could conceivably receive a license fee every time a hyperlink is used. Even if the fee was quite small, it would be an enormous amount of money. At 1 cent per link, for example, I might owe BT a nickel just for linking you to Yahoo, Google, CNN, VIA Hardware (does it count if you link to yourself?)

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hey BT, You Can Bite My Arse
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I just think its funny that they claim to patent it in what was it 76?

Gee... I envision a computer that runs without power and doesnt' fit into a box anymore it comes on a card and you can plug the card into any generic LCD terminal and have your computer, data, files, and add ons with you at all times.

Please.. someone make it. I want royalties... gimmie gimmie gimmie
      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Old news this one I thought they'd given up on the idea.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This sort of thing is exactly why I like OGG Vorbis better than MP3 !
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

BT Scumbag

Isnt it surprising how such a lame company as BT, a company that has constantly dragged it feet with regards to UK Broadband are so quick to jump on any scheme to make a quick buck. Not content with monopolising UK telecoms, they want to do the same with the internet. The patent to Hyperlinks should be in the public domain. Its too important to be held by a greedy little company such as these.

Personally I hope they lose this and end up with a bloody nose.

Regards M 'not one of BT's biggest fans' DHome
            Last edited by mdhome; 15 February 2002, 02:17.
            Interests include:
            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

'Tis old news, but as BT are so desperate for money at the moment, I guess they'll try anything!

Comment

Get in-depth coverage of current and future trends in technology, and how they are shaping business, entertainment, communications, science, politics, and culture at Wired.com.

Comment

RAMBUS anyone?
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                  X