What chipset was it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What chipset was it?

Wasn't the 430FX and the 430VX the Socket 7 chipset which had problems (i.e. major slowdown) when you put in over 64Mb RAM? (Something to do with the board unable to cache all the RAM)

The HX I think fixed this - was it also in the TX?

Just putting 128Mb into an HX board that's all and wondering if it's worth it.

If memory serves the VX was a major PIA. HX was the "performance" chip of its day until the TX came along. Some loved the TX while others kept their HX's until the BX came along.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The TX, VX and FX can only cache 64Mb of RAM. The HX can support up to 512Mb of ram and the whole 512Mb is cacheble. So the HX is the fastest one if you use a lot of ram.
      Last edited by KeiFront; 14 February 2002, 10:55.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Of course you can also go for the Via super7 which in it's various guises could cache a lot of ram. But then you run into the buggy drivers and hardware etc.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

VIA MVP3.............................................. .................... the dictionary doesn't contain the words I need to describe that chipset

Comment

N*S***!!!!

That piece of silicon crap drove me nuts.....

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

HX ruled !!
              Oh yeah ... could overclock my Pentium 233 MHz to 250 Mhz rock stable on an ASUS board, by using undocumented jumper settings !!! Those were the days !!!! Until my ASUS P2B-BX came along.
              Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
              incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                VIA MVP3.............................................. .................... the dictionary doesn't contain the words I need to describe that chipset
                Yup I think it got banned.

Pity they haven't got much better isn't it. Anyone for the loopy loop?
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I never had problems with my MVP3. I had the CE revision, which did quite well. I had the 1.1B revision of the FIC VA-503+, and it was rock solid. The only problem I had was that my G400 could only run at 1x DiME AGP. Big deal.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks guys! It's a crap old Compaq Deskpro 2000 (P120@133! ) and I'm just trying to speed it up anyway possible

Comment

yep, TX was fast and stable with the newer features, but it was slower with over 64 megs of ram. I had one, an Abit AB-TX5. Good board if you only want 64 megs of ram. But the HX was the speed demon if you wanted to overclock or use more ram. The older VX and other chips were for earlier pentiums, and they don't support the faster 200/233 speeds ?? maybe?? just guesing on that last part
                      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X