No announcement yet.

Matrox To Announce New Card Next Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox To Announce New Card Next Week?

Comments and discussion on the news item found at www.murc.ws.

VigilAnt
    Last edited by VigilAnt; 13 February 2002, 21:33.
    VigilAnt

Edit: Removed morning irony (no, that is NOT something made of iron)... Anyways, you can see my morning rant quoted in VigilAnt's post
    Last edited by Tempest; 14 February 2002, 00:48.

Comment

___________Hey, shouldn't this be in the Crystal Ball =?
      Someone please put the G4xx core to sleep. I for one didn't know that it was multichip capable... (is it?)___________
      All chips are multichip capable when they are treated as independent displays on single boards. They are not connected together to increase power, just multiple outputs. The G450 is a logical choice for the next MMS model IMNSHO.

__________Edit: Sorry for the first lines, just a little morning grumpiness from me, it's 8:45 AM here. I don't doubt that someone would have a use even for a board with eight outputs. It isn't a mass product, but there is always some people...
      As for the question if this is what MURCers have been waiting for, I (surprisingly) don't think so. You would probably have to put like 8 of those suckers on a board to have a change against any of the newer cards... Matrox goes 3dfx (ah yeah, 3dfx is dead... what a coincindence).
      Of course the G450's are cheap to manufacture. I'm starting to get very afraid that this is the card that Haig has been promising. What he said was that compatibility will strictly be a power issue. I think 4 chips on a single board will drink a lot of juice... ________
      The MMS has been a huge success for Matrox. Now they are upgrading the MMS line. I wasn't alluding that this would be a gaming solution. If you got that, then you have never bothered looking at what a G200 MMS is. Like I said in the blurb, it's a multimonitor solution. 3dfx never had a solution like this.
      As to what Matroxusers are expecting. I was talking about whether this is the card that Haig and others have been speculating about. Not asking whether this is what Matroxusers want. Obviously most end users such as you all here would have little use for it. This is a business card only. Just like the G200 MMS. Take some time and do a little digging on what the G200 MMS is then it will click I hope.

Thanks for the comments!

VigilAnt
      VigilAnt

Comment

It is NOT the card I am waiting for

Give me a harcore gamers card plz

Comment

Sorry VigilAnt, I misunderstood the whole concept... Pardon my morning cynism (starting to wake up here )
          What I misunderstood was the parts "new, expensive highend card" and "that begs for the query of whether or not this is THE card the Matroxusers have been waiting on".
          I thought with high end you meant processing power, and with the "waiting for" part that you did not know whether it would be what most of us have been anticipating here. Now I see that you meant "high end" as in "special market" and "have been waiting on" in the sense that we have heard rumours about a new product here but do not know if this is the cause of them.

I have no doubt that the G200 MMS is an excellent product for those that need it, and I am sure that the G450 MMS will continue this tradition.

Comment

i wouldn't worry about this news, it is just an extension of the mms line. matorx know they won't be able to survive without developing a new core in light of the budget cards coming through from the competition, so i am sure we will see a new card that will be very high end with a budget one released also to satisfy the oems.

haig has said there will be a card to satisfy everyone, and the mms is just a small part of matrox's market

my 2p
            Dell Inspiron 8200
            Pentium4m 1.6
            640mb pc2100
            64mb gf440go
            15" uxga ultrasharp
            40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Matrox do big business on their MMS lines and it is logical for them to produce a G450MMS. The MMS boards only use technology when it is well proven and thoroughly tested with solid driver support.

This ain't Parhelia. Will Parhelia ever see light of day? Only time will tell.

Comment

Thank you roadie,

now I feel better, at least for the moment.

Comment

I don't belive there'S a market for a quad G450, but I could picture they put two G450 onto one PCB and thus continue there quad output cards while reducing costs (two chips vs. four on one PCB) and meanwhile improving their multimonitor support.

... QuadDVI™ anyone ?

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I see theres been an annoucement about a new 450 pci card
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This is not the rarh I was waiting for either.

What about the free Tshirt? c`mon guys
                      What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

DOH!

8 monitor outputs would be good for large multi-monitor displays at conventions and such. Plus stock exchanges use the big MMS style of cards, too. I remember when the G200MMS came out that it was going to be used by NYSE and a few others to replace their old low res cards.

Maybe they'll announce multiple cards and chipsets???

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Let's hope the new G450 PCI supports DVDmax and OpenGL on non-intel platforms.
                          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

It could useful for Nvidea users. Fast Agp for gaming and then switch over to a nice clear desktop via the matrox card.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

this will hopefully earn matrox so much money, that they can produce the parhelia asap.
                              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X