new critical update for IE out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new critical update for IE out!

The "11 February 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer" update eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer 6, as well as six new vulnerabilities, and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-005. Download now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to run code on your computer.

For additional information about these issues, read Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-005.

System Requirements
    This update applies to:

Internet Explorer 6.
    Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2.
    Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1.
    Internet Explorer 5.01 SP2 on Windows 2000 only.

These guys will never make their stuff secure. I have ActiveX and Java disabled but its hard to do any surfing w/o having scripting enabled. This patch "fixes" a problem that allows a malicious web page to even get around disabled scripting.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Just use one off the alternative browsers e.g Mozilla, Opera, ... (altough I'm not saying that these are absolutely secure)
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

non-M$FT browsers

Oh please ... don't get me started again on why you shouldn't use those other browsers.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

just use opera

Comment

I just wish they'd put in a lockout for doubleclick and other ad-virii. Ad-Aware works nice, but.....

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: non-M$FT browsers

Originally posted by xortam
              Oh please ... don't get me started again on why you shouldn't use those other browsers.
              And Don't get Me started on why you shouldn't use any MS browsers!

besides:
              It's like saying that everyone should use Nvidia cards because they have the biggest market share.....
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I just use IE6 becuase I find it the best. I've got Opera Mozilla and various Netscape all at work and still end up going back to IE6.
                Netscape also has bugs as well. Don't hear much about Opera though.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

And Don't get Me started on why you shouldn't use any MS browsers!

besides:
                  It's like saying that everyone should use Nvidia cards because they have the biggest market share.....
                  I knew my comment would ire those soldiers in the field who think the browser war is still on. Go ahead and knock yourself out if you don't need broad web support. We've hashed this all to death once before ... go search for the thread if you still want to read the arguments.

Comment

xortam your missing my point!

Just because IE has the biggest share of users translate into that it is the best browser.

And just because it has the biggest share does not mean that I automagicaly should use it!

There is a saying:

One biljone Chinese can't be wrong!

Rice taste good!
                    So mayby both you and me should be eating Rice because so many other people are eating it?
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid ... I phrased my comment to get a reaction ... which it did. I don't care that IE has the largest share of users ... just that it has the largest share of usability. IE wasn't my first choice in browsers but it probably will be my last. This subject always provokes a lot of discussion but it probably belongs in that large thread we had going once before ... not that it hasn't all been hashed through enough.

Comment

Xortam: Used Opera recently? I just downloaded 6.01, first version I've used in a while - since 5.0x or something. It's pretty good so far....and I'm using the non-Java version. The only 2 things I've noticed 'wrong', is the smiley box on the left of the post box on these forii, and some tables being slightly out of alignment.

Plus it also disables coloured scroll bars, which I don't think W3C approve anyway.

I believe I agreed with you in a previous thread, and I don't see what you and Technoid are actually arguing about. Technoid didn't say it wasn't the best for compatibility, and you didn't say you used it because it's the most popular.

P.

PS: KeiFront - what makes you think IE is less secure than any other browser? Just curious, I'd assume so myself
                        Last edited by Pace; 14 February 2002, 16:15.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

What makes IE less secure? Hmm, how about ActiveX? How about a browser that, according to MS, can't be separated from the OS?

I don't want those two that tightly coupled. You get interesting little things like viruses over the web, and that particularly frightening MSN virus that is going around right now. It's not destructive, but I find it very disturbing that there is a path between a web browser and and IM client that uses the OS hooks to get the dirty work done.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Exactly. And xortam, tell me a web-page that is not working with the newer Mozilla versions, cause up to now I didn't encounter any.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

I switched to IE ages ago when I couldn't view some MSFT developer pages with Netscape. I haven't had a need to check up on the status of other browsers because IE has served all my needs. Sometimes I need Java and ActiveX (like viewing company conference calls with analysts) and I activate those features when I really need them. IE is bundled and integrated with Windows and it doesn't make sense for me to load my system with yet another browser that occupies additional resources and maintenance time. I take many steps to help secure my system and have never had a problem from viruses or trojans. Security is an issue no matter what system you're using ... caveat emptor.

Comment

Working...
                              X