No announcement yet.

WinXP crashed hard, need serious help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP crashed hard, need serious help!

When I boot it says "C:\Windows
    System32\Config\SYSTEM" file is missing or corrupt. It's not missing. The file doesn't have an extension and it's a bout 5.5mb on my system.

Obviously I tried a repair, nogo. The only repair option I got was the repair console, but I'm clueless what to do there, I did try to fixmbr and fixboot but little good that did. I tried a chkdsk /r just for the heck of it, didn't work either.

If I try a setup it doesn't give me the option to repair, so I need to find out what that file does and which cab to restore it from. That or if anybody has a different solution I'm all ears. Or if someone can send me that file let me know and I'll post my email address.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

The file you are refering to on my XP Pro setup is only 3megs (3072K) in size
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

have a look at this article to see if it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
        have a look at this article to see if it helps!
        Sounds a lot like my problem except for the extension of the file, but I'll give it a try and let you guys know.

Thanks for helping me out, I don't really have much time to reasearch this error on my work computer.

If this works you guys are my binary heroes!! If not the help is still VERY much appreciated, honestly.

Got my car busted into yesterday and they stole all my good shit and busted up my sunroof and one of my doors, and now this. My car is in the shop so if this winxp solution works too, I'll feel a whole lot better.

Comment

It worked but I think I just restored a really old copy of the registry back in my system. So in a way, I;m not much further, but the info you gave me is good, I am currently researching to find a way to get my latest registry back up.

Comment

ZokesPro,

since Ayoub´s link deals with win2k I suggest you look at
            Gain technical skills through documentation and training, earn certifications and connect with the community

for some advise on XP. Scroll down the page and you´re home.

rubank
            Last edited by rubank; 13 February 2002, 17:37.

Comment

ayoub_ibrahim you da man!

I took a closer look at my system at what was missing etc... and my system is back up to the way it used to be! Just had to copy the SYSTEM file from C:\Windows\Repair\ (I think) into the original one and it worked fine. I only had to install the video drivers and a 2 programs but it's cool now.

Now that my system is up and running I wonder how the dealership is doing on my car? (different story altogether)

Comment

Working...
              X