Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

set refreshrate for gaming resolutions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set refreshrate for gaming resolutions ?

Hello,

I have a Matrox G200, with Windows 2000 and driver version 5.33 (will upgrade to 5.72). Windows runs in 1280x1024x16 bit @85 Hz.

When I start a game, the card switches back to 60 Hz (even in 640x480, 800x600, ...).

How can I set the refreshrate for these modes ?
    (the 60Hz modes are not even mentioned in the monitor profile !)

Thanks

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Ehh... I think the settings only apply to 2D/windowed 3D.
    I currently don't use OpenGL in any games but in Direct3D games the resfresh rate can be set by starting dxdiag, going to the last tab, selecting Override and entering a value. This must be a value that you monitor supports for all modes that you intend to use, so don't enter, for example, 100 Hz if you want to play at 1280x960 and your monitor only supports 85 Hz at that resolution.

Edit: I think you can use the DirectX Control Panel Applet to set individual refresh rates for every resolution.
    Last edited by Tempest; 13 February 2002, 05:13.

Comment

The last time I had that problem and Dx wouldn't overide I ended up re-installing the matrox drivers.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ok, thanks !
        That is a great help.

But euhm, it seems that the refresh-rate is fixed for all resolutions. Is it not possible to force the refreshrate for each resolution individually ?

The PIT:
        How did reinstalling the drivers help ?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

You want your refresh to stick in games in win2k/xp?

Do this:

Goto display properties/settings/advanced/MONITOR SETTINGS(NOT THE MONITOR TAB). Select adjust a different display mode, then select the resolution and color depth you wish to customize, then actually go into the the settings and select the refresh rate you wish it to run, even if it says it's already set at that select it anyhow and then set it. Make sure you save the settings for windows to use, there will be a check box.

Rags

Comment

Thanks, I will try it this evening !

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Rags advice also works in Win9x/ME
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, euhm, guys.... It didn't work...

I customized a resolution/colour depth, and started a game. The display still went to 60 Hz. Is a reboot required after customizing such a resolution/colour depth ?

Also tried the dxdiag setting, but with the same result...

I will upgrade to the 5.72 driver version, and try again (and with reboot if it doesn't work at first)

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

I think you also need to made sure that 'use customizations to windows monitor settings' is enabled, if you haven't already?

Comment

Originally posted by Verstraete J
                    Well, euhm, guys.... It didn't work...

I customized a resolution/colour depth, and started a game. The display still went to 60 Hz. Is a reboot required after customizing such a resolution/colour depth ?

Also tried the dxdiag setting, but with the same result...

I will upgrade to the 5.72 driver version, and try again (and with reboot if it doesn't work at first)

Jörg
                    Be sure you are setting the correct resolution and color depth for the mode you wish to run the game in. Otherwise, you will not see a change.

Rags

Comment

Well, I upgraded the driver to 5.72, altered the monitor customization for the needed resolutions, and now it works... (didn't require a reboot )

So thanks for the info !

I do have a problem with this new driver. When I go in to the section for monitor customization (forgot the real title), my cpu usage rises to 100%, and after about 10s I get the appropriate window. Altering modes works, but when returning from the test-display, the cpu is hogged again for about 7 seconds. The other sections of the Powerdesk work ok.
                      (G200 card bios is reported by Powerdesk to be 1.3-11)

Any idea what causes this and how to get rid of it ?
                      (this hogging did not occur in the previous drivers...)

Jörg

Shuttle Spacewaker 661, BX chipset
                      Intel Pentium II-450
                      384 MB SDRAM
                      Adaptec 2940UW
                      -Quantum Atlas 10K (id 0)
                      -IBM Ultrastar 36LZX (id 1)
                      -Plextor 4220 (id 4)
                      Adaptec 2906
                      -Iomega Zip250 (id 5)
                      3com 3c900 Combo
                      Creative AWE32 (isa)
                      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Verstraete J

The PIT:

How did reinstalling the drivers help ?

Jörg
                        The refresh rate went to 85hz which I had the monitor set rather than 60hz.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The delay when entering Monitor Config. is normal. Although i think it should not happen with 5.72 drivers, rather with the 5.52 ones. Anyway, it`s nothing to worry about, and you cant fix that.
                          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Ok, thanks !
                            Well, it is kind of annoying if you're setting different modes for the first time... but once they are set...

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Yep its annoying ... i had that with the 5.52 drivers, once i installed 5.72 it was gone ... but, as you said, once you set them once it doesnt matter ...
                              Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Working...
                              X