A call to arms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call to arms!

I like the news on the main page! Thanx Ant!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I've got an Athlon 600 running Seti@Home. I just reinstalled it. I forgot after my last ghost. The performace graphs seem to indicate that my P75 would be next to useless unfortunately but how about for the Genome project?

Can some fellow murcers post their processor speed and how long it takes to process a segment/unit for the Genome project?

Comment

genome units come in different shapes and sizes, therefor it is difficult to judge.

Speed wise I would forget a p75, the slowest machine I user is a p3-333 the fastest a 1.4 amd.

For the best speed use as many computers as you can get your hands on.

breezer
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

One more questions:

Can mutiple machines use the same email address and pull seperate units from Seti? I may be able to add a P3-800 to the cause using the screensaver mode which would probably mean at least 16 more CPU hours per day.

Comment

Re: One more questions:

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
          Can mutiple machines use the same email address and pull seperate units from Seti? I may be able to add a P3-800 to the cause using the screensaver mode which would probably mean at least 16 more CPU hours per day.
          Yes!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I must already be getting addicted. I got an image in my head of a rackmount setup of older units to save cost all running some distro of linux processing SETI. Or would that be insane? I realized I could run the client constantly since the only games I am playing now are Half-Life Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

Comment

Hey Jumb, glad youve made it to the seti team, I thought as if it was only me and guru left theri for a while.... most of them ran off te the genome project which is cool and more realistic, but im out here to find ET heh...

btw i saw this...avg cpu time...53 hr 28 min 09.3 sec

I guess thats the old p75 doing the damage.
              you might want to hurry up and get that p3-800
              going, you might just triple your progress.

And btw, if they havent told you already, the seti team guys have great webstat pages found here

and the official seti stats here http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_25678.html

and if you want to check out the latest distributed murc gossip... or the 1 stop shop, its all .... http://www.setiatmurc.f2s.com

Welcome to the team
              What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Already got all those links. Thanks. As for the times, it is the Athlon 600. I use the machine sometimes playing Half-Life while Seti is running. The time should eventually decrease to 32 hours per unit. I couldn't get the PIII added to the cause also.

The p75 doesn't even have a keyboard right now so don't worry 'bout that slowing us down.

Comment

I adjusted some setting and I think I can get a unit done in in even less than 32 hours time. I went through MSConfig, enabled superbypass in my bios which is supposed to give the processor more direct memory access and the screensaver now blanks immediately saving cycles there. The improvement at about 60% done already in less than 8 hours could mean a very substantial improvement.

Comment

Although I don't contribute to this has anyone noticed how impossible is too connect to the seti server. 8 to 10hrs to do a unit three days or more to get a new unit.
                    I noticed they're working on it but Et may fly past if they're not careful.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Cure for all diseases instead

Originally posted by The PIT
                      ........I noticed they're working on it but Et may fly past if they're not careful.
                      Why don't join the Genome team then? Our machines are working hard to cure all known diseases - or simply map some genome combinations............

And the stanford server is working most of the time........

Regards,
                      lurqa

Comment

it does piss me off thet berkeleys servers are always down.
                        it a real hassle. but iv already done so much seti work to switch now.
                        What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

I'll slave this machine to Genome when I get my second machine which will run SETI. I just have to see if I can convince my cousin and her fiancé to allow me to install SETI on their two PIII 1GHZ that they use for their home business.

Comment

Shrub GENOME!

Can't understand why people are still wasting their time on SETI..
                            Lurqa's views that G@H is more worthwhile as a DCP gets my vote...
                            AND US KNIGHTS NEED SOME COMPETITION!!

I've done SETI...and Mersenne (and yawn..)

We have members looking to cure flattulence ..and the gene that create big breasts...presumably in the female of the species ..but then I've got to be PC...err (Politically Correct... )
                            Just my tuppence worth (or two cents or two pesetas...

Come on U guys.. NI!!!!
                            GOLDENBALLSAINT YORK

Comment

Re: Shrub GENOME!

Originally posted by eboracumsante
                              ........We have members looking to cure flattulence ..and the gene that create big breasts...presumably in the female of the species ..............
                              Once the cure for the infectious brain distortions thriving amongst the members of the KWSN genome team has been developed - we will welcome any new members in our relatively sane MatroxUsers Genome team.

Regards,
                              lurqa

Comment

Working...
                              X