nvidea mirror trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nvidea mirror trick

This is a good article that breaks nvidea's mirror and reveals the truth about the gf4mx
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

John Carmack warns people NOT to buy a GeForce 4 MX for Doom (or anything says I).

nVidia: Let's sell people crappy mid-range cards so they have to upgrade a second time to the bigger cards once WarCraft III and Doom 3 comes out.

Carmack: You are unwise nVidia, I will thwart you!

nVdia: What's a thwart?

Carmack: Boot to the head!

[PHOOMP]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

All your game code belong to us !11
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The only way nVidia can make the GF4MX brand somewhat acceptable is by dropping the entire GF3 range.
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by CHHAS
          The only way nVidia can make the GF4MX brand somewhat acceptable is by dropping the entire GF3 range.
          I heard they were indeed dropping the GF3s (TechTV segment).
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Marketing marketing, all those joe sixpacks will buy one because Geforce 4 sounds better than Geforce 3 .
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Of course, what Carmack fails to mention is that any currently sold card will run Doom3 just fine.

Despite all his blustering, he never REALLY alienates an entire segment of the populace. I mean, Wolf3d runs ok on a G400, despite it being totally old-tech.

- Gurm

P.S. But yes, I have come to realize that the Gf4-mx is just a higher-clocked version of my gf2-mx. They already sell one of those. It's called a GF2ti. Sheesh!

P.P.S. We want our P.....
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Despite all his blustering, he never REALLY alienates an entire segment of the populace. I mean, Wolf3d runs ok on a G400, despite it being totally old-tech.
                a 386 with a normal vga card runs wolf3d ok.

back to topic, i don´t think the gf4mx will backfire at nvidia, because of the name, but then again it all depends on the honesty/knowlegde of the salesman, this could be real problem in stores that isn´t specialized in computer hardware some of them don´t even know what they are selling.
                a long time ago i bought a soundblaster awe32, believing that it could (as the salesman said) deliver 32bit sound, when i learned the truth i didn´t blame it on the creatives marketing, and i didn´t returned the card, because i was satisfied with it, but i would have returned it, if i was looking for 32bit soundquality(i didn´t know better)).

I can see the problem if the salesman insist that the gf4mx is a "real" gf4, lets just hope i tnever happens.

if you don´t know anything you just have to trust they know what they are talking about.
                Last edited by TdB; 12 February 2002, 15:04.
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

How about "EXCLUDING" nVidiot card from Doom3

Comment

I think they intentionally chose the name because:
                    The GF4mx is an OEM card.
                    Now all the system manufacturers get to sell computers that have "GeForce 4 chipsets."
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Now all the system manufacturers get to sell computers that have "GeForce 4 chipsets." [/QUOTE]

Still better than a TNT2 M64.
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                      X