Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 oscar nominations for LOTR

hope they beat titanic

anyone know how far they are from beating titanic as the most succesful movie ever?

actually i dont care how succesful it is, i just dont like titanic being the most succesful movie ever, it makes me sad

It is currently #14 on the all-time box-office chart.

Bear in mind it has only been out for 8 weeks. Harry Potter, currently residing at #8, has been out for 13 weeks.

They have made $271.4m and $313.7m, respectively.

That's an average of... hmm... $34m and $24.1m.

So I think it's well on its way. They don't plan to end its theater run until late March or early April, last I checked... they'll be adding the trailer for "The Two Towers" at the end of February.

- Gurm

P.S. Remember the totals for Titanic and Star Wars include rerelease dollars. Of course, we're about to get a rerelease of E.T. (GOD HELP US!) so that might just jump to #1.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

where can i check upon information like that, gurm?

Comment

I think imdb.com has it on there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Of course, we're about to get a rerelease of E.T. (GOD HELP US!) so that might just jump to #1.
          "Well you can't milk an old cow enough".

Is that the right phrase for this mr Spielberg???

Comment

well, then lets just wait till peter jackson releases his 4:45 hour version of the 1st ring movie and his uncut versions of the other 2, hehehe

Comment

Jackson's final cut was 3:30, but Universal rejected it. I'd like to know what's in there.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

nope, jackson already said that his "dream cut" as he calls it was 4:45 hours, its right here: http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/hd...-detail_73.htm

there is a link to the english version

but on the first dvd, there will be only 30 minutes, you can read it here: http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/hd...-detail_89.htm

Comment

dream cut != final cut.

Don't correct me when you misunderstand what you read.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

i think you mean that the dream cut is not the final cut, i think the final cut was 3:40, but they only put 3:30 on the dvd,
                    its all quite confusing, i just hope i get to see the 4:45 sometime, the sooner the better

Comment

I would like to see a fuller cut myself.. but keeping some of the more violent footage out probably makes this more accessible to younger children, and the more of these young people who get to experience the magic of Tolkien, the better.

Comment

Ok ok, here's the deal.

He was all set to put a 3:30-3:40 (nobody's quite sure of the total time) movie into theaters. They (not Universal but New Line) said "no way - keep it under 3 hours", so he literally snipped 40 minutes out of the movie. You can see it in a couple places, it just jumps - transitionless - from one scene to the other.

However, there was another hour's worth of stuff that he WANTED to finish.

What we will get in the first DVD pressing (which I've heard might hit anytime in the next couple months) will be the cut that was ready to go. Later in the year (August, September, whenever) we'll get the full 4:40 or whatever it is.

Hope this helps.

- Gurm

P.S. The violence level had nothing to do with it. The scenes that were cut were dialogue and character development. Sorry to burst any bubbles.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

P.S. The violence level had nothing to do with it. The scenes that were cut were dialogue and character development. Sorry to burst any bubbles.
                          I was just going by what that German site said..

He told me he was extremely disappointed because 75% of all the stunts they did were cut(due to graphic content). Apparently, at least 3 mins of the Amon Hen battle was cut, including numerous decapitations, high falls and stabbings

I'm sure there were other things cut as well, as you are saying. The episode with the barrow wights and tom bombadil were completely gone (though i suppose that was the most disposable part.. kinda a side trip there.. dunno if they even filmed that)

Less is more in some cases, though. Editing a film one way or another can almost totally rewrite the mood. It wouldn't have been as credible with excessive blood and guts while so many more important scenes were missing too. And if you get bogged down too much in character development (especially when it is a secondary character like legolas or gimli) it can REALLY slow things down.
                          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 12 February 2002, 21:57.

Comment

yep, but as far as i know, the first dvd will be realeased in august ( http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/hd...-detail_89.htm ) with no specials at all, another one will be released in november, with about 30 minutes extra, and i hope they will bring the 15 hour for all 3 dream cut in 2004, after all three movies were released.

as for violence, if you saw any of peter jackson older movies, it is pretty sure that LOTR was more violent in the beginning

PS: the character development of "secondary" characters like legolas and gimli is one of the things that make the book as good as it is

Comment

*ahem*

Ok, a couple things.

1. No scenes involving Bombadil were shot. They just didn't have time, and he's a completely disposable character (much like Glorfindel whose entire role was subverted by Arwen).

2. There may in fact have been more stunts, but the PRIMARY content of the missing 40 minutes was character development.

3. I do believe that we'll see the original missing minutes in the first DVD release. And New Line has officially committed (not through some German trade rag, but through their official LOTR spokesperson) to the 4+ hour cut on DVD, this year. So it won't be a long wait.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X