Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video audio sync

Hi,

I encoded a divx 4.12 movie, and when I play it, everything is fine, but when i jump position, the audio is out of sync.

I guess its windows media player, so can you tell me a good player to play divx files?

I also need a freeware cutter/joiner for divx, where can i get that?

Comment

DivX 4.2 includes The Playa, a DivX player that is backwards compatable with older versions. There is also another player app by DivX that is for protected content.

DivX home: http://www.divx.com/index.php

4.12 download: http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0012..dl-81931

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 February 2002, 05:53.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I am curious about what experienced DivX-users have to say. I have the same sync prob in DivX files when jumping through a file but I think it's just a typical DivX disadvantage, not a Win MediaPlayer drawback. Further, IMHO, The Playa, (the official DivX player) truly sucks. It's the most unstable media player I've ever tried. I'd stick with MPEG for most occasions.

landrover
        -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
        2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
        Matrox Parhelia 128
        Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
        Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
        Maxtor 300 GB for video
        Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
        Win XP Pro

At work:
        Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
        Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

ThePlaya works fine here as long as you only use it for DivX avis. and it's "desktop mode" is really nice (plays the video as desktop background).
          When jumping in a big DivX I only get an about two seconds period of video-audio desync, with the video played much too fast in those 2 secs until it "reaches" the audio, then it's played back O.K. for the rest of the movie. Maybe the video-lagging depends on the computers speed, but it should not be longer than 10 secs with any only half up-to-date rig.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

yep, got the playa installed, it works, audio and video are synced, just after a jump it takes a sec or two to re-sync

as for divx quality, i like it

Comment

is there a DIVX info sheet on best quality settings of the 4.12 encoder (apart form the bitrate calulator)? I particularly have trouble deciding what setting the output video stream (0-6000) for quality versus size.

I know this is basic but all my attempts at encoding with DIVX have been artifacty.

Also (no one answered my earlier thread)...how do install a 3d party mp3 codec (I d'l lame) into windows XP so it is accessible by programs like virtual dub? When I look at the default codecs in XP the "frauehoffer" only encodes up to 56kbs. Do I need another mp3 codec?

thanks

Comment

dancray, I never was able to use the newer lame codecs as codecs for capturing and/or compressing with e.g. VirtualDub, it only seem to work in supported programs like most CDDA tools (unfotunately).
                Best thing to do is to install the old DivX3.x as well as this comes with a cr*cked version of the Fraunhofer encoder that allows any mp3 bitrate in those video-editing / compressing apps.

For DivX4, the most important values to play with are min and max quantizer, I keep them at 2-3 (for min) and 6-7 (for max). Another important parameter is (of course) the bitrate, I usually have it at 1100-1500, this gives decent quality and will take ~2CDs per movie.
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

danke shon mein plattenspiel

Comment

how do i get the desktop mode on the playa, it says overlay is not supported in my current video mode. is it possible at all with a g450eTV?

Comment

Don't know why it doesn't work for you - maybe a drvier issue? Have you tried in "single-head" mode (there are some problems/restrictions with Overlays when using both heads).

It works fine here on my R8500.

P.S.: To your cutter/joiner question: I use VirtualDub for slight after-encoding edits. It's not too feature-rich, but easy to handle and FREE. Most editing should be done before encoding, though.
                      Last edited by Indiana; 14 February 2002, 10:42.
                      My System
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

oh, dvd max was activated, and that although i dont even have a secondary display connected

Comment

Working...
                        X