&*^iggin block judging!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• &*^iggin block judging!!

you expect it from China, but Poland?? Cmon ya cowards!

Canada still kicks a$$!

I'm really pissed about this, its just not right.
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Yeah.. everyone there thought the same thing.. even the Russian skaters seemed to feel embarrased to have won that way. The Canadians' performance was flawless.. they deserved to win and everyone knew it. They panned across the judges faces as they were being booed.. what a sour, constipated-looking bunch of old school marms they looked like! Bet they needed armed guards to get outta that stadium..

Comment

this thing aint over yet me bucko...
      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Looks like the french judge admitted that it was fixed. She was told to give the russians higher scores, in exchange for the french skaters getting higher scores in ice dancing from the russian judge. Even if Canada doesn't get the gold, it should at least force some changes in the future...
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Looks like the french judge admitted that it was fixed. She was told to give the russians higher scores, in exchange for the french skaters getting higher scores in ice dancing from the russian judge. Even if Canada doesn't get the gold, it should at least force some changes in the future...
          LOL Yes, indeed. Beware of the all-mighty global Russian conspiracy.

Every sportsman is supposed to take his failure with dignity. So is every fan. IMHO.

BTW I feel awkward being forced to say that to citizen of (former?) British dominion. AFAIR the British have always been real sportsmen.
          Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

This was the most blatant example of unfair judging I've seen in over 30 years of watching skating events, Olympic or otherwise.

Being a skating fan for such a long time I can say that in the past there was no need for such shenanigans for the Russians to win pairs competitions. They were the best and everyone knew it. Every now and then someone else would come along and win, but it was unusual.

Unfortunately their pairs teams no longer have that level of skills superiority. The problem is they still have the idea that those medals belong to them and all is fair in getting them.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

RusCoder, it's just that skating judges in general are crooked and always have been. Look at some of the other judging results down in the pack. You could be a wonderful young skater who's not highly ranked at the moment, come out and do a beautiful, flawless program, landing quads all over the place, and those ****oles would still place you ninth. Sometimes the dark horse DOES deserve to win.. look at Simon Ammann.. no one was even considering that he would be in the running, but he won both golds in ski jumping. Those judges didnt deduct a bunch of style points just because he hadn't won anything before. (I doubt they could have deducted many anyhow.)

It's not some global Russian conspiracy.. it's a cliquish little group of people whose subjective judgement is the sole determinant of the contest results. It so happens that among those is a Russian, a Ukranian, and possibly others who are buddy-buddy and decide beforehand how they will vote. It's a bunch of bulls**t. We have those types of people here in the States as well, so don't think we are accusing you of having a monopoly on crookedness. Here, though, those people work for big corporations like Enron and Microsoft.

Comment

We have those types of people here in the States as well, so don't think we are accusing you of having a monopoly on crookedness. Here, though, those people work for big corporations like Enron and Microsoft.
                You forgot the IRS, local property tax assessors and traffic courts.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

KvHagedorn
                  RusCoder, it's just that skating judges in general are crooked and always have been. Look at some of the other judging results down in the pack. You could be a wonderful young skater who's not highly ranked at the moment, come out and do a beautiful, flawless program, landing quads all over the place, and those ****oles would still place you ninth. Sometimes the dark horse DOES deserve to win.. look at Simon Ammann.. no one was even considering that he would be in the running, but he won both golds in ski jumping. Those judges didnt deduct a bunch of style points just because he hadn't won anything before. (I doubt they could have deducted many anyhow.)

It's not some global Russian conspiracy.. it's a cliquish little group of people whose subjective judgement is the sole determinant of the contest results. It so happens that among those is a Russian, a Ukranian, and possibly others who are buddy-buddy and decide beforehand how they will vote. It's a bunch of bulls**t. We have those types of people here in the States as well, so don't think we are accusing you of having a monopoly on crookedness. Here, though, those people work for big corporations like Enron and Microsoft
                  First of all, thanks for the kind reply.

To the point.
                  I just like to emphasize a few key moments:
                  1. Life is essentially unfair
                  2. Berezhnaya & Siharulidze were not to blame at all and therefore they didn't need to feel embarrassed about the judges' decision. In fact, they even didn't watch their Canadian rivals performing.
                  3. It's up to judges to decide who is the loser and who is the winner. Especially in such technically advanced disciplines as figure skating. Trying to delegate authority to the public or (God forbid!) to the mass media may only result in arbitrariness of the criterions and utmost relativity of the sport itself.
                  4. As regards the allegedly corrupted judges I think it's not my business to tell the Americans about Presumption of Innocence
                  5. Last but not least, the point of view that predominates in North America is not necessarily the ultimate truth. Personally, I can name a few guys and gals around me that still believe B&S were better...

Good luck.
                  Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

At least they corrected themselves somewhat and gave Canada the gold which was so deserved. Nice to see that they had the balls to fix the result, but after all the bad press I don't think they had much of a choice.

Bart
                    Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      [B]
                      You forgot the IRS, local property tax assessors and traffic courts.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      Hey! I resemble that remark!

Chuck Jolley
                      Lead Programmer & Database Designer
                      Managment Information Systems
                      Oklahoma County Government, Oklahoma USA
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Berezhnaya & Siharulidze were not to blame at all and therefore they didn't need to feel embarrassed about the judges' decision.
                        Well, he described their feelings in an interview.. the controversy made them uncomfortable and they couldn't enjoy the rest of their time at the Olympics.. couldn't enjoy their gold medal. They both seem to be very nice and they are wonderful skaters, and I hope that when their time comes to skate at the exhibition at the end of the games, that people will understand and greet them warmly. I don't think anyone blames them for what some judge might have done. I'm glad that today's decision was reached. It was really the fairest thing for both pairs.

Last but not least, the point of view that predominates in North America is not necessarily the ultimate truth. Personally, I can name a few guys and gals around me that still believe B&S were better...
                        I'm sure that we could find a few guys and gals at an office in Toronto who would feel the same way in the other direction

The reason most people in the audience were stunned at the result was that the Canadian couple skated clean, while Sikharulidze obviously stumbled a bit coming out of a side by side spin. This was something that was very obvious to the "public" there that night, in case you are discounting the ability of us stupid North Americans to judge artistic merit. Perhaps you are saying that Scott Hamilton is also ignorant about skating? He was convinced that Sale and Pelletier had won as well, and he is always very alert to the nuances of every performance. The guy loves Berezhnaya & Siharulidze as well, though, so I think it's unfair to say that he would be biased so much towards the Canadians.

Anton Sikharulidze said this in an interview:
                        "Yes I made a small mistake in my free program but the judges gave small (low) marks for technical merit."
                        "(The Canadians') technical marks were higher than ours were. But there are two marks, technical merit and artistic impression and we had higher marks for artistic impression. That's why I don't understand what's going on, why there's such a big scandal from nothing."

But that's just it.. it was very close in the judging, a 5-4 decision. And one of those 5 judges that voted was found today by the IOC to have been compromised in her decision, so throwing out her vote the result is 4-4 and we have a tie. That's what the IOC found today when they awarded a tie and a second gold medal. They didn't take away anything from Berezhnaya & Siharulidze.. their integrity, their artistry, their skill, OR their gold medal. They are a wonderful pair and deserve it. Now, can you not say the same thing for Sale and Pelletier? Was not their performance that night wonderful and worthy as well? I just watched it again, and it had everything worthy of a gold medal.. technical perfection, great choreography, all around artistry. Give the Canadians their due. I think you will find that when Anton and Yelena step out to skate in the exhibition in a few days, that North Americans love them as well.

This wasn't about North Americans against Russians or anything like it. It was about fairness.
                        Last edited by KvHagedorn; 15 February 2002, 20:33.

Comment

the point of view that predominates in North America is not necessarily the ultimate truth
                          stupid North Americans
                          You said...
                          Seriously, I don't think one should get too defensive about some unhappy remark of a guy whose mother's language is definitely not English.

one of those 5 judges that voted was found today by the IOC to have been compromised in her decision, so throwing out her vote the result is 4-4 and we have a tie
                          First, the competitions in figure skating do not consist of the (how to put it?) free programme only. Don't forget, B&S won the short programme by 7:2.

Second, I don't think the Fairy Tale of the Frigging Judges Who Have Rigged up the Results is over now. You will see a lot of turns and twists in this dirty story.
                          For a sample read yesterday's L'Equipe. The suspected judge claims now it was the Canadians who blackmailed her...

This wasn't about North Americans against Russians or anything like it
                          Ok

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X