detecting hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detecting hackers

if your machine has been hacked is there any way of telling where the attack came from (it is on a local network) and is there any way of doing anything about it. ie if they try it again can you send something back to damage their pc?
    much appreciated as someone has hacked me on a university network and i am not v pleased
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Get the campus IT involved. You don't need their technical expertise to find the person, but you want their credibility when you have evidence.

Are they actively connecting to your machine remotely? Once they are on, you can traceroute to them. But once you find them, they're not likely to do it again, so make your shot count.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually if you are aware they are on your machine you can do a netstat -a (or-n) from a windows box and it'll show you what there IP is without their knowledge
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You could go to the computer science hall and strong arm everyone into giving you info on suspects.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

greebe how do i do that
          (thanks for the responses)
          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Just go to a Command Prompt and type that. It's under Accessories in the Start Menu I think.

Comment

a windows box is commonly called a dos box (which is an incorrect name for it)
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So out of interest I do netstat -a -n what are does 0.0.0.0.0 listening mean ???
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X