Recieve Calls While on Dialup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recieve Calls While on Dialup?

I have a friend who requires the ability to recieve calls while on dial up.

She just got a job at a hospital and is on call... but she doesn't have high speed in her area...

Anyone have any ideas (Either Hardware or Software)

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Hardware:

1) pager
    2) cell phone
    3) second phone line

Rags

Comment

Right idea but none of those suggestions are going to score me big points for being a techie god....

Good ideas' though.

Any one have any other ideas.

Comment

Hey, is this the same friend as in your other thread?

If so, just have her forward her calls to you. That way you have an excuse to go see her

Rags

Comment

providing they have call answering on the phone line, there is a freebie answering proggie that dont hose your connection.....in the AM i'll call a client to find the name of it again...

-pickle
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
            providing they have call answering on the phone line, there is a freebie answering proggie that dont hose your connection.....in the AM i'll call a client to find the name of it again...

-pickle
            Usually when that is available, so is DSL...so.

Rags

Comment

The ability to still answer the phone while connected is part of the v.92 standard, I believe. You can get it in modems today. But I don't know more about it than that.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                The ability to still answer the phone while connected is part of the v.92 standard, I believe. You can get it in modems today. But I don't know more about it than that.
                http://www.v92.com/v92.htm

Comment

Does the ISP have to support V.92

I know I could look it up easily..and probably at that link... but a quick or no answer will suffice just as well...

What can I say.. I am lazy... at least... on mondays

Comment

cbman........

1) The ISP has to support v92 and the "modem on hold " feature that allows the call to come in;

2) you also have to subscribe to call waiting on your home line

Other option...Go to Best Buy and purchase "Hot Call" for around $45. This is a small box that sits between the computer and the phone. It rings when a call comes in,and you can pick up the phone. It gives you about 8-10 seconds to talk and hang up without dropping your internet connection; any longer and it will disconnect from the net.

I have one myself, and it works very well.
                    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

took longer then I planned

Welcome to Callwave Our commitment is to deliver clarity, reliability, and affordability in every call you make. Whether for business or personal use, Callwave’s VOIP numbers are your gateway to a world of seamless connectivity. Trusted by Businesses Why do people love Callwave? Extensive Research and Testing: With rigorous evaluation of various VOIP Service Providers, […]

here ya go....enjoy

-pickle
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

oceaneer ....

when you say "other option", are you inferring that hot call doesn't require ISP v.92 support? or v.92 modem?

if it does, what ISP do you use? i have read that support is not widespread yet and that there are bugs (handshake recognition ...)

Comment

cptpuget.........

Hot call only requires v90 support/modem

I have used it with a v90 modemblaster and a v90 US Robotics faxmodem. Works perfectly with both.

I currently use a v92 modemblaster with netwaiting s/w which does not work as advertised yet. Any incoming call will immediately disconnect me from the net, with no options.

My ISP says they are currently working out the bugs with Netwaiting and should be good to go in about a month.

My ISP is Toad Net, local to Baltimore/Annapolis area.
                          P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Working...
                          X