For those of us over 30:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of us over 30:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1983.
    • They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
    • Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
    • Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic. !
    • The CD was introduced the year they were born.
    • They have always had an answering machine.
    • They have always had cable.
    • They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
    • Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
    • Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
    • They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
    • They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
    • They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
    • They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane Boss, de plane".
    • They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.
    • Michael Jackson has always been white.
    • McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
    • They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Man I feel older every day.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

They don't remember when there weren't home computers

They don't have a clue who Adam West is or what he played on TV

They don't remember not having calculators

They don't remember a time without cell phones

They don't remember not having calculators in school

They don't remember when the coolest electronic toy was a pocket radio with 3 transistors

"Dad, did you ever hear of Mr. Machine, Davey Crockett & coon skin caps, the Lone Ranger or Sky King?"

Starsky & Hutch and their pal Huggy Bear

They missed these movie premieres;

Jaws, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman and Superman II

And now for the things they sould be glad they missed;

Vietnam

Jimmy Carter (save for the big hoot of his Presidency: the killer rabbit!!)

The Iran hostage crisis

The Cuban missile crisis (pucker time for sure)

Watergate

Most of Irwin Allen's movies

Walter (Mitty) Mondales campaign (snore.....)

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 February 2002, 16:56.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

And now for the things they sould be glad they missed;

Vietnam

Jimmy Carter (save for the big hoot of his Presidency: the killer rabbit!!)

The Iran hostage crisis

The Cuban missile crisis (pucker time for sure)

Watergate

Most of Irwin Allen's movies

Walter (Mitty) Mondales campaign (snore.....)

Dr. Mordrid
      Surely you're still around though, Mordrid? Even if you weren't, I'm sure they wouldn't be glad to have missed you..

Comment

Hey I'm only 26 and I remember most of those things.

I pointedly remember the space shuttle explosion, I always used to get up early to watch the SAT. broadcast of launches.

'Nanoo Nanoo'

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Your parents were High School students of mine
          Chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
            Hey I'm only 26 and I remember most of those things.
            Yep, I'll soon be 24 and I'm not American... Let's see how I qualify, just for the fun of it.

-Space shuttle: I remember watching Challenger explode on TV and seeing somebody's glove (or a hand?) that was lying on a ground of dry red sand. Made me sad.
            -AIDS: I remember when the news were all about HIV-2, probably missed HIV-1 though.
            -Bottle caps: They have been (and some still are) metal and must (at least in theory) be opened with an cork opener. Long ago there were also those "flip" kind of corks.
            -CDs: I think we got our first Philips CD player in ~1986.
            -Answering machines: I've never needed aswering machines.
            -Cable: Believe it or not, I've never had cable =)
            -Remotes: I recall TV's that had no remote controls, I also remember a Mitsubishi VCR which had a remote that was wired to the unit.
            -Jay Leno: Who's Jay Leno? (Okay, so I know who he is, but haven't seen much of his shows)...
            -Popcorn: I rarely eat popcorn, but when I do, it's of the microwave kind. I guess one could fry it on a pan or something.
            -Jaws: Anyone that has seen Jaws thinks about it when they go swimming =)
            -Contact lenses: Haven't got much experience with contacts, my sister has them but they are of the "soft" variety.
            -Mork: He was from Ork, right? I think that was a question in the "adult test" of Larry 1 =)
            -The "I'd walk a mile for a Camel": Nope, must be US commercials...
            -J. R. Ewing: He was that cowboy guy in Dallas played by Larry whatsisname.
            -Michael Jackson: No MTV, so the first thing I remember about MJ is the moonwalk... Guess he was quite pale by then.
            -McDonalds: We haven't had McDonald's here until quite recently, so...
            -Typewriters: My family has owned and I've used both the mechanic and electric kind of typewriters =)

Conclusion: You can't be old, because then I'd be old too

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
              -Remotes: I recall TV's that had no remote controls, I also remember a Mitsubishi VCR which had a remote that was wired to the unit.
              LOL We had one of those! I remember thinking we were in the lap of luxury.

"You mean I can record a show and watch it whenever I want? And I can sit on the couch and fast forward through the commercials????? THIS ROCKS! It will never get any better than this! Hey, move the cord out from in front of the screen while you are up."

If only it would have worked the record player in the top of the gigantic console TV. That was HOME ENTERTAINMENT baby!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Re: For those of us over 30:

"de plane Boss, de plane".

I seem to have missed this one....
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

i grew up on MTV. The think i was 4 it was before school anyway. the first video i saw was Thriller, and i loved it. i'm suprised my mum let me watch it. but i used to run to the tv everytime they played it. hehe. then for my first day of school i wore my red leather michael jackson jacket. haha i still have it yes i'll take a pic of it for u guys to see. its hilarious. but anyway, i was by far the coolest kid in school strolling up wearing that . i thought i was just the mac daddyette.
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

looks a little rough these days . hehehe, and for some reason in this pic it looks adult size, but its a size 6 in kids. lol
                    Attached Files
                    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

-Space shuttle: I remember watching Challenger explode on TV and seeing somebody's glove (or a hand?) that was lying on a ground of dry red sand. Made me sad.
                      I remember the Challenger explosion, but I don't remember that. Didn't the shuttle itself maintain hull integrity until they crashed into the ocean?
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        I remember the Challenger explosion, but I don't remember that. Didn't the shuttle itself maintain hull integrity until they crashed into the ocean?
                        Actually, yes it did. What I am sure about is that I saw the shuttle explode on the news, but I don't know where I got that "glove" part from...
                        Edit: I am still bothered by that glove... Where have I seen it? In a nightmare? Anyways, I'm sure most of the debris landed in the ocean. Some Challenger images can be found here: http://www.seds.org/pub/images/shuttle/sts-51l/
                        Last edited by Tempest; 11 February 2002, 14:03.

Comment

The cockpit section did, it was designed to withstand an explosion like this. Now whether they survived the impact nobody knows (but many believe they did).. alas the answer to that will never be known because no recovery vessels would enter the area until 30 minutes after the impact due to debri still falling.

Were was I at this time... watching it live on a NASA backchannel on satellite and of course they showed the massive 3-4' icicles dangling from the shuttle 30 minutes before launch. The launch basically boiled down to this, someone in Washington said push the Fing button (knowing that there was great risk involved) due to all the weather delays with it's launch.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Mike, that person was Reagan.
                            I had a professor that went to one of Roger Boisjoly's appearances. When all the reporters had left, and there were no recording devices in the room, Boisjoly said something that he said he wouldn't allow to be taped:

When they were debating on whether to clear the launch, and it looked like they might cancel the launch, the project lead received a phone call. After he took the call, he told the others in the room what it was about. President Reagan had just called, and that he was looking forward to their successful launch.

And yes, they were probably alive:
                            ".... at least some of the crew were not only alive, but conscious, for at least a few seconds after the orbiter broke up. The forces of the breakup were not violent enough for a high probability of lethal injury, and some of the emergency-escape air packs had been turned on manually."
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Greebe's about summed it up. Now, if only the a**holes at NASA had put a freakin' PARACHUTE on that survivable crew module

What a bunch of college educated bone heads.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X