anyone using G400 under WinXP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone using G400 under WinXP ?

please help me, did i do a big mistake installing winxp ?
    i didnt have a clue i would get a hard time doing capture under it, is there anyone in here who have managed to use G400 under XP ?
    please let me now how and what i need for doin that, thanx...

AFAIK you cannot capture with the G400 and XP. Forget about all the Matrox video tools. There have been noises made here about maybe using Win2K drivers and Vid tools but you won't get MJPEG hardware support with XP. Its about the one thing holding me back from upgrading. There's progress for you.

Comment

No one has been able to get the Zoran chipset to work correctly with WinXP. That includes Pinnacle not just Matrox. In the industries opinion CPUs are fast enough to do the compression so the HW MJPEG encoders are out of vogue. And now it is possible to edit in MPEG2 as well so there really is no market for HW MJPEG. If there was they may have a new version out for the prosumer rather than the RT2000 line that is a little too much for a toy in my opinion. WinXP is overrated in my opinion and while I did like Win2k very much, Win98SE is much better suited for the Marvel G400. Every application and piece of HW that I own works great in Win98SE and it took a long time and alot of hacking and regediting to to get Win2K up and running. I don't want to even think about WinXP. So until Matrox or ATI gets a video card that I just have to have and the drivers are fully operational I will just sit here with Win98SE and my fully functioning PC.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Hi,

you CAN get the Matrox Vidtools to work in XP. If your system specs are high enough and you have a large hard drive, you could just forget about hardware MJPEG and capture YUY2 with a codec that suits your needs, like HuffYUV, software MJPEG from Morgan, PICvideo or MainConcept, and, if you want, straight to DivX. It's always better to try this than having to remove an OS you probably paid a lot of money for.

It's even possible to use hardware MJPEG if you want, but to enable it you have to download and install the MJPEG patch from MURC and disable busmastering for the Marvel. I don't want to do that but other users are very pleased with the possibility.

If you can't manage to install the official 2.04 vidtools in XP (Installshield interrupted error) you can download an alternative version from my homepage, which will work if you follow the instructions carefully. That is, if your card is properly identified by XP as being a Marvel G400 TV. On some systems the card is identified as a plain G400 and I don't have a solution for that phenomenon.

Hope this helps, good luck

landrover

-Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
        2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
        Matrox Parhelia 128
        Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
        Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
        Maxtor 300 GB for video
        Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
        Win XP Pro

At work:
        Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
        Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

I am just testing Win XP Pro, most to convince myself to go from my dual boot of W98SE+ W2K Pro.
          After a couple of days of running I am not convinced.
          Installed Power Desk 5.39 and Video Tools 2.04 (not the leaked) with all the patches, reghacks, file changes described here:

The capture option is not present in the PC VCR, so you can’t use it to capture. BUT, AVI_IO is okay for HW MJPEG until I click on the created file on my video HD. BSOD is the effect. Maybe it is because the WMP 7 built in the XP. The file associations are right.
          If I first start the MP and try to open the file, than it plays well.
          PICVideo-MJPEG (YUY2 in AVI_IO) works fine.

But I am still not convinced about the XP superiority over the Win 2000 Pro.

Fred H
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Sciascia

"No one has been able to get the Zoran chipset to work correctly with WinXP. That includes Pinnacle not just Matrox"

This may be true for Matrox, but my DC10+ Zoran based Mjpeg card speaks Directshow and WDM as of last Friday in both W2K and XP.

Sure their drivers are only beta (2nd version released yesterday) but the few niggles still around is not the greatest trainsmash, and I would say that the quality at 6M/s is better than any on-the-fly-Mpeg cards results - including my own 450eTV.

The biggest plus there is that Pinnacle does nut muck around with Macrovision - I can make a copy of any source I want - including some of my own Hi8 tapes that Matrox insisted were protected by Macrovision (sic)
            Lawrence

Comment

Lvr

Interesting. I read somewhere that they were not going to pursue the wdm for the DC10. If that is the case then it is just Matrox being lazy. I realize that it is a moot point and teh card is a little long in the tooth. They would probably be better served to spend R&D dollars on products that are gong to generate new revenue and not something that is already discontinued.

Here is what would be nice though. If some brainiack could take the DC10 drivers ands modify them for the G400. If it was possible then I would pay money for it. I am sure that several others out there would as well. wdm compatability would open up a lot of doors for us. The zoran chip specs are available to the public and since Matrox has no plans to support it furhter I would think that someone could make a few bucks without legal problems.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Add about 92 of my customers as well as myself to that list of people being burnt by no W2K support for Mjpeg and Zoran.

I moved away from Pinnacle when they originally came up with the lamebrained idea not to do any W2K drivers for the DC10+ about 2 years ago and I then pushed G400 TVs until Matrox canned that as well.

I was very glad to see my old DC10+ again after 2 years - the layers of dust I had to remove were certainly worth the effort - if for nothing else other than to see that somebody has actually gotton off their backsides and proven all the "industry leaders" wrong.

Judging by the number off people suddenly showing an interest in the DC10+ again, I would have to say that Mjpeg is far from dead.
                Lawrence

Comment

what are you guys talking about? i have a g400 -tv and i capture several times a week with h/w mjpeg. it worked in 2k and xp pro. i have installed xp on 2 completely different machines and it works on both. i use the final drivers for the g400 btw. i didnt install a patch or anything. i just have the final vt's and that's all. no messing around with busmastering - whatever the hell that is.

how come i have no problems getting it working but others do?
                  --
                  TJ

Comment

I hope you have written down the recipy - Matrox says it cant be done here on the latest driver page :

"Please note that the following suite of display drivers and video tools support TV tuning, 2D, 3D, DualHead and DVD. These drivers do NOT support Hardware MJPEG under Windows 2000.

The capture portion for Windows 2000 video tools will be the following:

Marvel G400 will have YUY2 and RGB capabilities.
                    RRG and Marvel G200 will have RGB capabilities.
                    The capture and editing portion will be accessed by 3rd party applications such as Ulead MSpro and Video Studio. However, Matrox will not provide technical support for these applications.

Due to the accesibility of YUY2, clients can now capture in MPEG and VCD format directly which removes the need to convert MJPEG files into MPEG format."
                    Lawrence

Comment

...and do you know what? VT 2.04 final does not even install the HDtest and the capture key, you know, that red dot you push to capture is not present. You can't even configure the VT 2.04 Final capture.
                      In most of cases you are not able to finish installing VT 2.04 in XP without some patches or reg hacks.
                      More, when I capture HW MJPEG with AVI_IO I crash XP with BSOD by just clicking the file in the Explorer.
                      VT 2.04 (Leaked) works well for me in W2K without any artificial respiration, like in XP. Not 2.04 F or 2.04L nor VT 2.10 installs on my XP Pro without those "artificial respirations".
                      Grrr

Fred H
                      Last edited by Fred H; 10 February 2002, 10:42.

Comment

I suspect that this will be a long running and contentious issue. There have been some very interesting posts here, and I can't say I understand all the issues - but it seems there are workarounds. I know that the standard dual head G400 is supported now with the release of new drivers, by XP. Can I assume further that I can keep my RRG card attached, and that the ports will work, but not the Matrox video capture program? If that is the case, then there is a way of squirting analog video into the port and somehow capturing it. What I need to know, and I suspect many others too, is exactly what is the best way to do this? Some of the people hanging out here are way more clued up than most, and it would be a wonderful and generous gesture if someone could make "an idiots guide to video capture using G400 + RRG + XP"
                        How do we use Yu2? What actual program is best for handling the capture process? I mean, I'm not saying I have to have hardware MJPEG by any means. Anything will do, as long as its not a poxy little 120 pixel RGB file.
                        I'm a long way off giving up on Matrox, as the G400 is by far the best 2d graphics card I've ever used.

Comment

First of all, XP contains a "false" Matrox driver. It doesn't support dual head.
                          For installing drivers and the VT (Video Tools) i've got some good ideas here: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30622
                          Fred H

Comment

in avi io it doesnt say mjpeg but if you dont select anything it just caps in mjpeg. haig said that when i asked on the matrox forums ages ago.

seriously, why am i able to do this when others cant? like i said i am able to capture with mw mjpeg on two different systems - how?
                            --
                            TJ

Comment

Mrtj1:

You are VERY lucky. Judging by the number of downloads I ´ve had of the alternative Vidtools 2.04 package, many, if not most of us, have serious problems with the combination of the MJPEG Marvel or RRG card and XP. I could only advise you never to alter your system again.
                              However, IMHO I think it should be possible to make decent (WDM) drivers for the Marvels. If Pinnacle can, then so can Matrox. I just think it´s a matter of priority. With Matrox withdrawing from the low end capture card market, there´s just not so much need for them anymore to support customers they could never sell anything new to.

landrover
                              -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                              2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                              Matrox Parhelia 128
                              Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                              Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                              Maxtor 300 GB for video
                              Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                              Win XP Pro

At work: