MILLennium G800 soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MILLennium G800 soon

According to the German magazine (PC-WELT) the G800 will be released in the next few months and will cost 400 Euro. The card is supposed to be as good as a Gforce-4.

Lets wait and see.

I bet their source is MURC

Comment

They don't know sh*t. They're also saying Matrox will present the chip on Cebit, so much for their "credibility"...
      Seems they just dug out some old rumors...
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

G800 ? WHAHAHHAA

Comment

LOL!
          "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
            They don't know sh*t. They're also saying Matrox will present the chip on Cebit, so much for their "credibility"...
            Seems they just dug out some old rumors...

They did not mention Cebit in the article.

Comment

don't even get me started on the G800

I have one, it's caled the Millennium G550
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Are they desperately out of news or why would they print crap like that? Unless Dogbert has sent out some press releases, of course

Comment

Originally posted by Damien

They did not mention Cebit in the article.
                  Really? I don't have the PCWelt myself (and I won't buy one as it is an a bit crappy magazine), but I've read posts about this same article over a week ago and there the original poster claimed that according to PCWelt there would be a new Matrox chip with performance just slightly below that of GF4 and it would be presented at Cebit. Well maybe he got things mixed up a bit, maybe you can post the whole article (it's not very long if I remember correctly)?

Still even them mentioning the name G800 for the new chip makes them not very trustworthy, IMO.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

if you need to know

I have it because the two CD's enclosed beat having to download larger Files.

It has been published under shortly before closing which means at least several weeks befor publication end of February. I also can't recall them having posted anything like this before.

shortened translation of the text and facts printed below

G800 will come despite rumors last year which later said that R&D has been scrapped.
                    The GPU is supposed to be ready for production within the next month.
                    According to insider infos it's performance will be a bit below Geforce4- using a similar achrchitecture.
                    Price supposed to be 400€.
                    signed ms (not Michael from Lostcircuit ;D of course)

That is all from page 15 of PC-Welt 3/2002

PS. Despite something called Karnevall in several places in Germany it is not a time missused for pre April fools jokes.

Comment

The G800 is dead, well the living dead in the form of the G550. There is no reason why they could not apply the name to the Parhelia but it would be a damn fool choice if you ask me after the whole G800 dabacle. The real G800 would not have got any where near to a GeForce 4.

Comment

I do believe Matrox will release something in the near future. But all papers that call the new chip the "G800" just make me sad because we here at MURC are pretty sure what happened to the original G800 design.
                        Then again, as I have previously stated in the "G800Max?" thread, no other name would be as respected among hardware enthustiasts. Of course we have talked about the Gxx series being based on the old core and that the naming convention should change. But the G800 name is so logical and "legendary" even among users of non-Matrox cards that, on the other hand, Matrox marketing would be stupid not to take advantage of the hype.

Speeds slightly below GF4... Well, that would be possible. If the card would be speedwise equivalent to a Geforce 3 but was of good quality then it would still have a chance of selling more than the count of MURCers, their families and closest friends =)
                        The "but" is that the mass market doesn't seem to have a demand for a quality part of medium performance. Users either want the fastest card around, or acceptable performance at a reduced price.
                        I also have a feeling that ATI's next offering is going to be a helluva mean card.

But the point about Cebit makes these news untrustworthy because at this point we can be quite sure that Matrox won't attend Cebit. Unless, of course, the papers have heard when the chip is going to be announced and thought Cebit to be the self-evident place to do this.

Conclusion: I don't believe it, but I wish it was true

Comment

Next gen Matrox

Remember, Matrox is still goint to Game Developer Conferance, and thats in mid march, i belive! And the G550 is no card to run games on!

But GF4 preformance sounds good to me....

I don't belive the card will be called G800. Perhaps, but unlikely! What happend to the F800 (Fusion) cards we heard about some time ago?? I never got the point with that card!
                          Lets hope the next Matrox card suports DirctX 9. GF4 doesn't suport it!

One thing is certian. Someone on this forum knows about this card....

Comment

No such name as Cebit in the article

PC-Welt didn't mention CEBIT with one word or sentence! ! !

Thats why it's not in my summary.

If you want I scan it on monday and mail it to you, but this won't add the the Cebit to article and make it any more (un)likely to be true then before.

Comment

Matrox on tradeshows....

CeBit is in mid.martch, right??
                              13. - 20. March, 2002 I belive....

Matrox's event calender (this spring)
                              -------------------------------------------

Game Developers Conference
                              San Jose, California
                              March 19-23, 2002

E3
                              L.A. California
                              May 22-24, 2002