Goodbye to the old fish and chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye to the old fish and chips

Due to overfishing round the British shores a British resturant is taking three species of fish of the menu.
    Of course the fisherman disagree that the stocks are going down and probably will keep on saying that until theres nothing left. Perhaps resturants got the correct way of controlling things?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Restaurants deciding not to serve fish is a powerful way to restore fish populations. It was successful with the Atlantic Swordfish, and now restaurants here in the Bay Area are stopping serving Chilean Seabass. Now if only we could keep the Japanese from whaling...

MadScot
    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

I think I heard the other day a lot of the younger generation aren't going into fishing and this will shrink the fishing fleet.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Don't even start me on the whaling.

But I will say 98% of Japanese don't eat whale now, due to it being somewhat expensive.

It does get served at traditional Japanese wedding receptions, due to it being a tradition and all.

Never had it, I'll eat it if I have to due to social obligations but not otherwise.

I've chatted with the wife who used to eat it at school (it was cheap school meat when she was young) the flavour aperently isn't anything to write home about anyway.

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

North Sea (one of the worlds richest fishing grounds) R.I.P.

Pit,
          They reckon that if all fishing was banned in the North Sea, it would still take more than 10 years before there was any real improvement in fish stocks. What pisses me off is that we are well aware of the dangers and we still let this happen.

Regards Michael
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I don't think it's you the brits that empties the Northern Sea of fish, I think it's rather the norwegians.

Comment

I don't think it's you the brits that empties the Northern Sea of fish, I think it's rather the norwegians.
              There wouldn't be much to eat in Norway without fishing. The place is basically all mountains with a few lawn-sized patches of farmland.

Comment

Just needs a bit of common sense applying. Are the fish stocks dropping. Yes. Therefore lets not quota hop and also fish less and we'll be able to have fishing fleets and fish for amny years to come.
                The other alternative. Tax on fish so no one wants to buy it.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

So doesn't anyone do fish farming over there?

We have huge fish farms raising everything from salmon & trout to catfish, all of which are excellent in flavor and texture. Because of this they are available and affordable.

This week whole salmon fillets are on sale at our local market for $2.99/lb. Frozen whitefish fillets run about $1.50-2.00/lb.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 February 2002, 20:21.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Around a month or so ago Japan lauched a satellite specifically designed to track whales underwater... How does that bite ya?!
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It tells me they don't care if they run out in 50 years.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Remind me to go off and find the actual stats on whale fishing.

I do know most (all?) of the whales caught are Minki whales, of which there are reasonable levels (I'm not saying sustainable).

Also lets not forget there is also a European country that fishes whales as well.

As far as excess fishing goes, please remember that Japan has a population of 120 Million plus and 80% of its land mass is unusable for agriculture, as well as having very little in the way of natural resources.

Also please remember 98% of people in japan under the age of 24 or so have never eaten whale and find the idea somewhat replusive.

Can anyone say 'Powerful Lobby Group'???

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sasq I can't follow your logic.
                          So due the population it's okay to send a species to extintion. So when the one species of whale is gone I presume you move to another. Completely pointless.

At least the younger population seem to have the right idea. Yes Norway like whaling a little too much as well.

Fish farming we do have that over here however I think they're fed hormones and other crap and tend to get out and screw up the local underwater population. Proper controled fish farming is probably the way to go.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I beleive the harvest is about 600 minki whales a year but please do not quote me on that. here

Also there are about 760,000 minki whales in the southern hemsiphere alone - this is an interesting link, please read

Interesting to note the Japanese people have been eating whales since 10000BC or so.

After reading that last link, please feel free to comment on it re: hunting minki whales to extinction.

Dan

Edit: removed grump due to bad cold
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              So doesn't anyone do fish farming over there?

We have huge fish farms raising everything from salmon & trout to catfish, all of which are excellent in flavor and texture. Because of this they are available and affordable.

This week whole salmon fillets are on sale at our local market for $2.99/lb. Frozen whitefish fillets run about $1.50-2.00/lb.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Doc,
                              We do have some farms (mainly in Scotland). Unfortuantely there aren't nearly enough to replace what is being lost in the wild. If we treated the North Sea correctly it would provide us with several hundred thousand tons of fish per annum.

As an aside, the Brits are not big fish eaters. Much of what we catch is probably being fed to our cows.

Regards MD
                              Interests include:
                              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                              X