Speed and road deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed and road deaths

After a recent news article about deaths caused by speeding and new clamp downs there seems to be a slight contridiction.
    It's also stated the traffic speed is falling through country I've just crawled back at with the speedo just peaking at odd times at 30 mph (Dual carrigeway with a 40mph limit but no knows it) but mostly twenty and the roads weren't even busy.
    So how can we be speeding more yet driving on average more slowly?
    The area where I live theres three main roads past it. One is always very slow so thats out one now has a new bottle neck so you have to drive albeit slowly round the back to bypass this. The council will notice this. Yes you still get across quicker. The third way which used to be useful when the other two were jammed is now all speed humps and deliberate blockages like bus stops next to carriage way restrictions. Again the third way several times I drove on that only once did ever get to thirty miles an hour most of the time it was twenty. Parked cars provided a natural speed brake. I wonder if anyone checked the speed of traffic. Instead they forced everyone else out onto other choked roads.
    I think road deaths could reduced further if more effort was put into cameras that caught people jumping traffic lights (Note the camera will have to take pictures both ways so a driver avoiding an out of control lorry won't be prosacuted). Driving under the influcane of drugs (I once knew someone who drove while taking sleeping pills and they could hardly keep awake at the desk.). Careless and stupid parking like parking across junctions, crossing close to junctions and double parking. A stronger campiagn aimed at children like we used to have. A clamp down on careless cycling which large fines when putting themselfs at risk and other road users. Yearly road tests for 60 and over. A warning system for lorry drivers over high winds preventing them from leaving the depo.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Statistics (40% of which are worthless according to a recent study) show that 99% of all accidents that are "speed-related" happen over 90mph or under 30mph. Virtually no accidents happen at 60-80mph. Not NONE, but almost none.

These statistics do NOT include accidents where one of the following was a factor:

- Age (old farts should get yearly ROAD tests, and if they fail they lose their license for good. teenagers should have a probationary license only.)

- Substances (alcohol, cocaine, pot, caffeine, Big Mac Secret Sauce (tm), pixy stix, etc.)

- Excessive dumbness (driving the wrong way on a freeway, attempting to cut off a train, etc.)

What does this prove? That while drivers are idiots, lawmakers are BIGGER idiots. Wooooooooot!

Actually, a great quote from the commissioner of the National Highway Safety board says:

"We should NOT teach drivers how to control the car under extreme circumstances, or drive with precision - it will encourage them to drive recklessly!"

So what you're saying is that you shouldn't give anyone any gun safety training - just hand them a revolver, show them how to pull the trigger, and hope to God they don't kill anyone?

WHAT A ****ING MORON.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Forgot to mention any using a mobile should be instantly banned and heavily fined unless it's a handfree phone.
      Okay over 3000 die a year which sounds horrific until you consider how many vehicles are on the road per day and the population of the UK. The number would then come down to less than 1% deaths per car. A friend just said roughtly 1 ten thousandth per cent per car. I don't think you can improve on that much. This week I've seen different three people walk striaght out in front a car two didn't look the other thought he was harder than the car.
      I can tell you the number of vehicles I've seen jumping traffic lights it's normally three per light and I go through 20 a day so it's about 300 a working week.
      Drivers should be trained to control a car in the skid and high speed control.
      Drivers caught being dumb should be banned for life. Bus drivers versus lorries are good examples of stupidity.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Why it's car accsidents
        Attached Files

Comment

Now that is funny
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

its just an easy way to blame a problem on something and not have to fix it. Kinda like blaming violence on video games. If you can convince the great unwashed masses that speed kills, you don't have to fix the underlying problem(s) that Gurm pointed out. Also it generates revenue in the form of speeding tickets. It would be harder to prove and administer stupidity tickets. Speeding ticket: your over, you pay. Stupidity ticket, alot more work for that poor donut soaked flatfoot. Who should be laying the smack down on stupid brick throwing punks anyway...
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Now stupidity tickets thats an idea. Get two of those in a month and you're banned for a year. The roads would be empty in a week. This would also lead to a healthier nation becuase since public transport sucks, most people would have to walk to work or leave and get a job more local and then walk.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No, I simply propose that we adopt the German driving laws. Drive drunk, lose your license - forever. No speed limits on big highways. Make everyone REALLY learn to drive before giving out a license.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Here's your ticket...

and your sign.
                  Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Working...
                  X