75GXP Class Action Suit Filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75GXP Class Action Suit Filed

With all the worries about the IBM 75GXP drives, I thought some of you might be interested in this:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but if there are any lawyers here, can you tell us how we join a class action and get our part of the settlement?

The only people that will see any money off of this is the lawyers. The best you can expect is a rebate on future IBM products. See the Iomega case for examples.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry I'm not a lawyer - wife is though.
      As a start I'd call/fax the lawyers in that pdf and ask about being included etc

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I was thinking about just requesting that IBM replace the drive with a new 120GXP. Anybody have any experience with the new 120GXP drives? Do they click and clack too? Any problems otherwise?

Comment

No suprise here. Fortunately my early versions have held together, but the newer drives certainly seem to be fragile.

Perhaps it's time to trade up to some of those Maxtor/Quantum 740's?

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I was thinking about just requesting that IBM replace the drive with a new 120GXP.
            That will never happen. Maybe you'll get a coupon for $25 off your purchase of a 120GXP.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That will never happen. Maybe you'll get a coupon for $25 off your purchase of a 120GXP.
              Trust me.. I will never buy an IBM product again. E-mailed the bloody lawyers.

Comment

Serves them right for going for cheap labour and larger profits.
                Once you've lost the reputation for reliability it takes a long time to get it back.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Honestly...I bought several 75GXP's for myself and client's, and never had one go bad. I guess I got lucky. The 60GXP's have been rock solid as well. Don't matter much anymore, though. Now that Western Digital has their QC back on track, I buy almost exclusively from them.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

These 75gxp's of mine (I have had three of them now) have been 100% stable and solid. Noisy as hell, but they perform exactly as specified. I am tempted by the thought that if I "break" them IBM will send me 60gxp's... but... why break it if it ain't broke?

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      These 75gxp's of mine (I have had three of them now) have been 100% stable and solid. Noisy as hell, but they perform exactly as specified. I am tempted by the thought that if I "break" them IBM will send me 60gxp's... but... why break it if it ain't broke?

- Gurm
                      You'll probably end up with serviced GXP75's about 6 months later
                      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I just had a 45GB 75GXP crash on me last week, i am using the rma-ed 35GB (was also an 75gxp) now... guess i'll give the maxtor a try...
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Have bought over 25 IBMs most of them 75GXP or 60GXP. Only one has given trouble (a 40GV) but the DFT "seems" to have fixed that. Also have a good old fujitsu from since 97 and its still going. Maxtor from 99 is still going strong. Maxtor or rebranded Quantum lasted two days and then was completely dead. I think I will stay away from MaxQuants.

DJ

Comment

I've never had problems with Maxtors in the several years I've been using them. The DiamondMax Plus's have been even more so a good product.

I can only imagine where they'll be going now that they're using Quantums technologies. Those 740 drives look just too nice....

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Maxtor...ew. Had too many troubles with Maxtor, Fujitsu and Toshiba HDD's. I stick mostly with WD, and an occasional IBM or Seagate. WD had a bad spot, but they are back to their normal high quality self.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X