XP and the use of RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP and the use of RAM

Through trouble shooting and what-not I had a BUNCH of RAM lying around so I figured I may as well use it. Is there a way to get XP-Pro to make better use of the RAM (I have 1.5 GIG of RAM installed now)? I know it's overkill, but I had it here on the desk so what the heck.

So can I use it?

note: If you recall my trouble shooting thing I thought I had bad RAM, went out bought more, installed it and it worked...........for a while. I discovered yesterday that my motherboard was pretty much toast so I replaced it and guess what? All of my RAM was good after all.

note2: Many of you suggested when I built this system that my motherboard was questionable after the smoke thing . Just wanted to let you know that you were right. I should have replaced it back then. I am now running with a "SY-K7V DRAGON Plus!".

There, I feel better.
    Last edited by Pneumatic; 5 February 2002, 06:09.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Well, in what way do you feel it is not using RAM well right now?

You could disable swapfile, or make it very small - forcing Windows to use RAM. There are also some tweaks floating around to force it not to page the kernel, and to make it use more RAM for file buffering, etc.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that it was making BAD use ot the RAM. I just want to optimize it for top performance since I have the RAM in there.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Check out the Tweak sites, TweakXP and whatnot.

They have good tips, and that will allow you to make the most use of the RAM.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

TeakXP

Okay...I'll probably get a few flames for this, but TweakXP is always an option. Yeah, yeah...some people say it's still too buggy. I, persoanlly, have had great success with it. Windows XP boots up in about 10-15 seconds on my system (see sig). I also have all pagefiles disabled. Not even 1 MB in size, and I'm only running 512 MB RAM. So far I have not had one single problem doing this.

Manual tweaks can be found at www.TweakXP.com

Jammrock

EDIT: Damn, he beat me to it.
          Last edited by Jammrock; 5 February 2002, 06:32.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I was going to suggest this. There's actually a NEW tweaker out that uses the .NET framework and seems VERY good, has lots of memory options and whatnot. It's called miTweak-XP. You can get it from MajorGeeks or NeoWin.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
            X