X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is'nt 40 Gbyte enough !

Greetings all,

Here is the situation in short :

I am trying to generate a video file of about 1h15 with Ulead Video editor. After about 15 min it stops and gives me the following error message :

- Insufficient memory. Please close other applications in order to free up system ressources an try again.

After clicking OK I get :

- Insufficent Hard drive space. try another drive.

I don't get that considering my system and the fact that the only application running was Video Editor :

-PII - 450 Mhz (Not overclocked)
    -Abit BH6, latest bios
    -Matrox Marvel G200-TV, 16 Mbytes
    -256 Mb RAM
    -C drive=10 Gbyte (Western Digital) 620M free
    -D drive=10 Gbyte (Western Digital) 327M free
    -E drive=40 Gbyte (Maxtor 7200rpm) 38.1G free

The software I use :

-Media Studio Pro - Video Editor V5.2 with
    JPEG compression ICI library v1.0

The project :

- 1h15 min of AVI
    - 708 x 480
    - Matrox JPEG compression

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Roger

If you export to Mpeg1 i bet you wont have this type of problem. Sounds like your hitting the 2GB limit in Windows9x.
    Marvel G200 8 Meg PCI

Comment

704x480 will only give you about 10-12 minutes at 6.6:1 compression so odds are you are hitting the 2 gig wall.

I'd suggest using the smart rendered timeline playback to print it to tape. For archiving the project itself, which after all is the end idea of saving it to disk, try "packaging" it.

Packaging will put all the project files, including the *.dvp with all your changes, in a single directory that you can then archive to magtape or spanned removable media (CD's, ZIP's, Orb etc.).

MSPro has a packaging function but I find it easier to just build my projects in their own directories to start with.

I span my packages to CD-R using Advantrix's Backup Plus and DirectCD 2.5. Sometimes a lot of them, but they're cheap, small and easy to store. IF I need to recreate or use portions of the old project I just re-import it from archival storage and all the original quality is there.

As far as exporting it to MPEG-1: you lose a lot of quality and much of the ability to make changes later on should the original tape go bad. MPEG-1 may be fine for sending video to grandma on CD, but it's not really that good for archiving if the intent is later re-use.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 27 April 2000).]

Comment

I assume there's some hidden setting in videostudio where you should set the path for your temporary files! I had the same problem in media studio pro...
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Thanks you all !

All of your suggestions helped !

1) I was indeed hitting the 2G barrier
          2) Setting the path in Video Studio VE helped

This raised another question about the 2G barrier.

Are there any ways of going around that barrier ?

By the way, this forum is great !

Comment

The 2 gig and 4 gig barriers are a Windows9x-ism I'm afraid. You can get around them during captures by using AVI_IO to capture serial 2 gig files. Saving edited work out to disk is another matter.

You can get around the 2 and 4 gig limits IF you have some adventure in your spirit ;-)) I decided to try out the Winternals NTFS for Win98 driver. NTFS is a disk format used in WindowsNT4 and Windows2000 that has no realistic file size limit.

Using NTFS decreases the write performance about 10%, but with todays high performance ATA66 drives and RAID arrays this is trivial.

The reward is the ability to save any size file as long as your software supports OpenDML.

The rub is that you should have a dualboot system so you can format the new NTFS partition AND have access to the NT4 files the driver requires.

OpenDML support is present in MSPro 6 and most other new editing software, but not all codecs support it as yet. One that does support OpenDML is the freely licensed PICVideo MJPeg codec.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 01 May 2000).]

Comment

Working...
            X