No announcement yet.

Liteon 24102B 24x10x40 IDE - Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liteon 24102B 24x10x40 IDE - Any good?

Well, my HP9600 external SCSI 12x8x32 has proved such a monumental PITA that I've decided to send it back within 3 days of getting it.

I can get a replacement Lite-On 24102B IDE cdrw for a few pounds more, although I really wanted to remain SCSI. Anyone have experience/comments on these?

I seem to remember a thread about Lite-On drives but I cant find it when I search.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I bought one of those a couple of months ago. Great drive works like a dream, burns a complete CD in around 3 minutes, my 2X was previously taking 40! Not really much more to say but I'd highly recommend it from my experience.

Comment

It's the best drive on the market right now.

It's the ONLY drive on the market that will cut the newest SafeDisc (which is currently used on Medal Of Honor).

The only downside is its Digital Audio Extraction is NOT as good as the Plextor - but then again this is a $70 drive, not a $170 drive.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Not only is it a nice drive (my experience is exactly like Ant's)
        They now have a 32x out for only a little more.
        I have not seen one in action though.
        Chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          It's the best drive on the market right now.

It's the ONLY drive on the market that will cut the newest SafeDisc (which is currently used on Medal Of Honor).

The only downside is its Digital Audio Extraction is NOT as good as the Plextor - but then again this is a $70 drive, not a $170 drive.

- Gurm
          Gurm,

You sure about this? Umm I tried out a "backup" of My father's MOH:AA that was made either by his Plexor or Yamaha drive and it works fine so far....with a no cd "patch"

Scott
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I have one and it is great! Comes with Nero.

The 24x is a badged Plextor. Is the 32?

T.
            Last edited by Fat Tone; 4 February 2002, 12:57.
            FT.

Comment

The 24x is NOT a rebadged plextor. The DAE is nowhere near as nice as the Plextor, and the Plextor can't rip the new SafeDisc.

*ahem*

If you run it with a no-cd "patch" then you have cracked it, haven't you? If you backed it up with CloneCD and the Liteon, you wouldn't need the "patch" - it would run as-is.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

***ahem***

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=LiteOn 6th post

Thats where I got it from, haven't read everything out there but this is the first I've heard to contradict yourself

To save you clicking: "Point in fact is that if you want to be able to copy "just about anything", you still have to buy a Plextor (or the odd Liteon that happens to be some kind of weird Plextor one-off or something, like the current 24102B).

- Gurm"

Tony.
                FT.

Comment

As you can see in my sig I have one, and its “the best” thing I ever bought burns everything I even copied my Operation Flashpoint with no problems, which is SafeDisk 2. Its quiet its fast its reliable and its cheap, what else can I say other then buy it. Although it aberrantly has some problems with Abit motherboards. You can check www.cdr-info.com there is dedicated Lite-On forum.
                  Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2)>>AMD 2500+@ 3200+ (Barton)>>1.5 GB Ram (PC400)>>Leadtek GF 6800 12x6(385/850)>>Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JB) & Fujitsu 20Gb(MPF3204AT)>>Cambridge Audio azur 540A>>Razer Viper(Mouse)>>V7 V7S20PD 20.1 TFT Monitor>>NEC 3510A>>Lite-ON (40x10)>>Cherry CyMotion>>CanoScan N670U>>Epson Stylus Color 760>>Windows XP (SP2)

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                    ***ahem***

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=LiteOn 6th post

Thats where I got it from, haven't read everything out there but this is the first I've heard to contradict yourself

To save you clicking: "Point in fact is that if you want to be able to copy "just about anything", you still have to buy a Plextor (or the odd Liteon that happens to be some kind of weird Plextor one-off or something, like the current 24102B).

- Gurm"

Tony.
                    Gurm? Wrong?
                    Nah, must have been a typo.
                    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Note the "or something". We thought it might be, but since its capabilities are far different, and attempts to flash it with the Plextor firmware (and vice versa) have failed, we have determined that it is in fact Liteon's own creation.

Add to that the fact that while it is nice, it is substantially cheaper (in build quality) than your run-of-the-mill Plextor, and...

- Gurm

Comment

Fair 'nuf, Gurm

So what do we think of the 32x? Is it a faster version of the same fabulous drive?

T.
                        FT.

Comment

All signs point to "yes" on the 32x. Little confirmation on cutting MOH's version of SD2, but it does APPEAR to be the same mechanism, only faster.

- Gurm

Comment

Great Drive

It works great now even with my machine. Don't ask.
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

LOL - that was quite some saga you had there Denty!

T.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X